I'm at my parents for a cookout...I have a question

• She's probably making ribs or fajita meat for my dad on the grill. My question is when she grills beef she flavors it with corona. Is that allowed on phase 1, because I think everything gets burned off...
  • I'm not an expert here, but while I think the alcohol would burn off, wouldn't the carbs from the beer still be there?

Can you ask her to save some mean unmarinated for you?
  • Quote: She's probably making ribs or fajita meat for my dad on the grill. My question is when she grills beef she flavors it with corona. Is that allowed on phase 1, because I think everything gets burned off...
    If she can't do some separate for you I think there would be very little carbs left from the corona, but is there sugar in the rest of the sauce?

Pat
  • She doesn't use sauce. Just corona...so that is ok?
  • You should be ok, the amount of carbs and sugars won't be enough to matter, just make sure you drink LOTS of water have fun!
  • My coach had told me it was a no no since it had maltose which is a sugar. I'm learning something new everyday :-)
  • Quote: My coach had told me it was a no no since it had maltose which is a sugar. I'm learning something new everyday :-)
    Your coach didnt go to school lol...basic grade 9 chemistry...

Beer is made, in part, with malted barley. When the barley malt is first cooked in the brewing process, the resulting liquid contains maltose, which is a sugar. During fermentation, however, yeast consumes the maltose, converting it to alcohol and natural carbonation.

Popular beers in fact contain little or no maltose or any other simple sugars
  • waaahhh I didn't know that!!!!! it didn't taste the same without the beer lol
  • There are however carbs in beer, but using the technique you were talking about, the vast majority of the alcohol would burn off, and there would be negligable amounts leftover.

Maltose is not in finished beer, but there is another byproduct called maltodextrin which comes from the maltose being consumed...very complicated science now LOL but Anheuser-Busch actually sued the South Beach Diet when they stated that you could not have beer on their diet due to the Maltose...The successfully proved that there is no maltose present in beer and glossed over the maltodextrins...There was a huge advertising campain in the US where Anheuser ran ads stating 'Enjoy a beer on your South Beach Diet'...
  • So...where does that leave your question LOL??

When we are in ketosis, we are processing (burning) fat and this has to be processed by the liver. When we drink alcohol (or cook with it) our liver is the organ that has to process the alcohol, and alcohol takes priority over fat. So while the alcohol does not actually hurt the IP diet per say, the function of the liver moving its focus to processing the alcohol will cause us to stop processing fat until after all alcohol is removed, which could be 2-3 days.

Thats all the science I know for today...
  • About.com has an alcohol burn-off chart taken from the USDA Table of Nutrient Retention Factors (pdf), first and second link, respectively.

http://homecooking.about.com/library...lalcohol12.htm

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcom...tn6/retn06.pdf