Weights and high blood pressure

• I was wondering if anyone here does weight lifting with high blood pressure. I have it and stopped lifting when I found out. It has been about 6 months and want to get back into it but I was told by some people and online that you should not lift with high bp. Then I read online you should it will actually lower it in the long run. Would love some advice from someone who does it with high bp.

Thanks for any and all help.......
  • Do you take meds?
  • Yes I take meds for it.

Thanks
  • How is you BP with meds? Controlled or still high?
  • It is controlled most days. Still do a bit high in sodium but when I dont eat high salt I feel great.

Thanks
  • I do cardio but really want to get back into weights.
  • I asked that question from my doctor way back when I was first diagnosed with high BP. -- She said as long as my BP is controlled and stay within reasonable limit (135/85) there is no harm. -- What has happened, once my general condition improved and weight came off, I was able to get off BP meds.

Biggest thing was, she advised me to to remember to breath. I guess holding breath whilst exerting can spike BP.
  • So your saying make sure I dont hold me breath . I lost almost 50 pounds now. And my bp stays around 130/80ish most days.

Maybe I should just try it and see what happens...
  • I was meds for bp as well and after a 40 pounds loss, my dr took me off my meds as well but i still lifted even while on meds. Exercise is suppose to help with bp
  • Have you asked your dr?

I would just start it easy. I know heavy lifting is "in", but I would just start with light ones. Perhaps carry a BP monitor with you and see what your body thinks about the workouts? -- I feel it when my BP spikes up.

Wow; congrats on 50 pounds, that is awesome!!!
  • I asked him he said not to do anything heavy or over the head. I will try light to see how it goes. Thanks