Arms after weight loss

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Has anyone that has lost 80-100 lbs Had issues with arm skin, flab, like does it ever just go down? I'm worried my arms won't. Anyone?
  • ValRock is probably going to come in here and say this too but weight training!!

I lift heavy weights regularly and while I have a tiny bit of extra skin you would not notice it unless I pointed it out. Working your arms helps because you will keep the muscle and lose the fat as you lose weight.

Is it guaranteed to make sure you end up with no extra fat on your arms? No, unfortunately, but it certainly does help.

I must add that I really didn't lose the arm flab until I was nearing the end...it was where I stored a lot of my extra weight.
  • This also depends a lot on age and genetics.

My family (mom's side) is known for big flappy arms. I have been lifting weights for a year and have good muscle tone, but I have bat wings pretty bad. I'm also 42 and predisposed to having big arms anyway. I'm sure they look TONS better than if I hadn't been lifting weights, but I would have to have MASSIVE muscle to fill the flaps of skin leftover. Not noticeable when my arms are at my side or normal movements - but noticeable when I raise my arms to the side.
  • I still have a bit of a problem, especially on the outside of my armpit. It's this little flap that I've just had to learn to live with. Fortunately, I think it's most noticeable to me. Weight training and TIME helped the most with this area.
  • Yep. weight lifting and time is the best cure for saggy arms. Unfortunately where I gained so much weight in a very short space of time I'll always have a little bit of loose skin, but like everyone else on here says, its more noticable to me than anyone else.

Exercises that I have felt have helped my arms, are the rowing machine, and chair (tricep) dips hard work but amazing for the arms. But ultimately time is what helps arms, eventually you'll lose weight from your arms with a healthy diet. I found mine stayed huge for ages then I had a whoosh where I lost 2/3 inches pretty much within a few weeks, now i've given it a few months, and aided by the gym, my arms are much more slender and toned.
  • I have always held weight in the arms! aaahhh my arms arms arms! Seriously I'd take an inch on my waist if I could take an inch of each arm. They are totally an area of crazy fixation for me. I will admit that I am not totally sane about my arms.

I have notice little to no movement on their size or flab until I got closer to a 21 BMI. Weight lifting helped quite a bit, but bear in mind that sometimes they fluff up quite a bit as you train. Sometimes I'd be doing chest flys and watch my arms in the mirror and be AGHAST and wonder if I was turning into a line backer.

After losing a bit more fat (which weight lifting helps!) I was grateful for the added definition in the shoulder--- helps balance out the dinner-lady lower part.

I think its really genetic in the end. You know those ladies with the long willowy arms? Long collar bones, long necks, skinny arms? I think that for the short and thick types, this would require emaciation to achieve.
  • Excellent advice about the weights. Also, one thing in your favor, I believe you mentioned being a hairstylist? If so, you are probably exercising your arms ALL DAY while you work & will likely be better off than those of us who only use our arms to stifle a yawn or raise a glass!

• Mine were saggy before I started lifting heavy. Not at all, now! Pump some iron, girl!
  • Here's my arms, you ladies think I'll be ok? Of course with weight training ad moisturizing

My floppy arms

• Hey, unfortunately I have no advice to offer, but you're not alone - my arms look very similar to yours and I worry about them a lot

Also just have to add, I adore your peacock feather tattoo!
  • Quote: Hey, unfortunately I have no advice to offer, but you're not alone - my arms look very similar to yours and I worry about them a lot

Also just have to add, I adore your peacock feather tattoo!

Thankyou! And yeah I'm like feeling meh if they will suck up and go away atleast somewhat away
  • Quote: Excellent advice about the weights. Also, one thing in your favor, I believe you mentioned being a hairstylist? If so, you are probably exercising your arms ALL DAY while you work & will likely be better off than those of us who only use our arms to stifle a yawn or raise a glass!

I am but I think my body is use to that motion the only time I've felt sore was day after strength training and it was prom... Ahhh updos+sore shoulders= awful
  • I'm sorry but my arms barely budged through the weight loss and strength training. This is one of the reasons that I'm lowering my goal weight by at least 10 pounds.
    It makes me upset that whenever I try on a shirt with long sleeves or a coat I have to go up at least 1 size for it to fit right on my arms.

I'll probably have to be on the lower end of my healthy weight before I see them go.. and it will probably be AFTER the rest of my boobs lol.
  • Looking at your pics I think I had bigger arms than you when I was a lower weight. Hopefully this is good news for you!

Here's some pics for perspective:

My starting weight. 200ish so over 80lbs ago. Arms!! I always had trouble fitting them into tops, etc. I also hated wearing tanks.

136lbs I still had some arm fat.

...And now (115lbs). Weight training (HEAVY weight training) helped me get the shape, but weight loss ultimately revealed what I had been building.

Quote: I'm sorry but my arms barely budged through the weight loss and strength training. This is one of the reasons that I'm lowering my goal weight by at least 10 pounds.
    It makes me upset that whenever I try on a shirt with long sleeves or a coat I have to go up at least 1 size for it to fit right on my arms.

I'll probably have to be on the lower end of my healthy weight before I see them go.. and it will probably be AFTER the rest of my boobs lol.
    I wrote it further up, but my arms didn't budge until I got to the 120s! It was annoying, really but the fat had to come from there eventually!
  • Wow that's a great transformation, I was never planning to go that low, but I don't have a goal it's more of past 150 and if I feel good I'll stop, but it seems ima have to pump oodles of iron to make sure the arms behave