Name some of the nicer words used in place of "fat"

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I have no problem describing myself at my higher weights as fat. Even now, I have my days where I feel fat. However, it's not "politically correct" or nice to use that word, I suppose. It's a dirty three letter word. Some alternatives that I have used or I have seen commonly used are -

heavy
    chubby
    overweight
    plus size
    obese
    chunky
    thick
    Rubenesque
    curvy
    voluptuous
    large
    zaftig
    plump

What are some words you use to describe being fat without actually using the word, "fat?" Is the word "fat" mean or politically incorrect?
  • Fluff (y)
  • We always used "heavy-set"
  • BornToFly - Fluffy is a cute one!

WebWoman - heavy-set has always been a commonly used description in my family! I forgot about that one.
  • zaftig intrigues me. I saw some Lifetime or Hallmark movie that used that word. I really don't see using it in everyday conversation though.
  • Hubby and I use the clinical terms really because "fat" is so vague. We use over weight or obese, or morbidly obese, depending on which one is the accurate description.

Years ago, when I was a teenager someone referred to my size as "too much" it was weird and for some reason more hurtful than if they had just said fat. I still remember it 15 years later...
  • Just after I got married for the first time in 1960, a neighbour commented that "She is puttin' on flesh". Of course my 90 pound dear mother had to pass that on. I think I was 127 at the time!

Now I prefer "fluffy" or "voluptuous".
  • I have been called big boned and robust in my time!
  • I like plump and voluptuous Or curvy. That's sweet haha.

Mind you I rarely call myself that. I usually just call myself fat. LOL
  • Interesting! Esp since we're all different people. Be neat to see the responses!

I don't care for
    • fluffy
    • chunky
    • "heavy duty" -- yargh.

I'm fine with
    • fat
    • over weight
    • obese
    • morbidly obese
    • plus-size

Don't necessarily find these accurate, but can deal
    • voloptuous
    • curvy

Because those can apply on appropriate weight women just as easy as overweight women.

"Zaftig" acknowledges the plumpness without it being a put down factor. That's prob my fav but too many people don't know that word.

My kid as a baby used to go with "round" Which was fine.

And then somehow moved to "squishy and ploppy" which was amusing as she tried describing sitting on my stomach.

Soo... yeah. Kids!

A.
  • Don't forget to thank pop culture for such terms as bootylicious.
  • I've been describing myself as famine-proof lately.
  • Quote: I've been describing myself as famine-proof lately.
    That's pretty fantastic.

I HATE cutsie terms for "fat," I'm a grown woman, not a stuffed animal. "Fluffy" makes me want to hurl. Fat is fat. I don't particularly want someone yelling about it from a moving car, but if we MUST discuss it then let's call it what it is. It's fat.

I don't mind when magazines use less blunt words to describe famous women. If the subject is HAS to come up, then I understand using "voluptuous" to describe, for example, Adele. Although why we have to comment at all, I don't know. We can plainly see her.

And while we're on the subject, there is no such word as "volumptuous." Just...no.
  • I have no problem referring to myself as fat, chubby or plump. My favourite cutesy term has to be 'cuddly', though I don't think I'd ever describe myself that way!
  • hahahaha my favorites:

plush
    pleasantly plump
    husky
    stout
    round
    butterball
    chubby

least favorites:

curvy (im not curvy, i am closer to lumpy)
    voluptuous (just seems like its trying to make big sexy, but i dont think it applies to BIG big girls, more like the kardashian sisters, or j-lo)
    big boned (really? are my bones mushy? nope, thats just fat)
    PHAT (be afraid if you refer to me as this...)

im sorry, but morbidly obese is horribly offensive to me, it sounds like something out of a horror movie, and i know i dont look MORBID, even though i classify as such