Assessing the damage

• Okay, I had a bad few days due to unforeseen circumstances. I figured that I needed to assess damage control this morning, so I stepped on the scales. I knew I had gained after having eaten like there’s no tomorrow for almost a week – the question was how much? FYI, my body has this crazy metabolism and I'll go for a week, dieting and exercising hard, only to lose nothing. So I looked and saw that I had gained a grand total of one-half pound. And this after no exercise during that time, too. Although I'm pleased, I'm more mystified than ever. I work hard and diet and gain. I eat like a vacuum cleaner for a week, filling up on Ghiradelli chocolate no less, and gain a few ounces. I've been in a stumbling daze all day.
  • Sometimes it doesn't seem logical, you eat way too many calories and don't ever see a gain. A lot of times it also takes a day or two to appear on the scale too...hope it's the former for you!
  • that's a pleasant surprise! maybe your body needed a week off to get back on track and jump start your metabolism. anyway, I'm so jealous! but, great job
  • While that's great news I can totally understand your frustration! It makes all your hard work seem pointless, but trust me, it's not! Perhaps your diet altered your metabolism somehow and you're burning faster now?
  • The numbers can get in your head. But the scale doesn't always reflect FAT loss, it just reflects weight loss. Sometimes it takes more than a week for the fat loss to reflect on the scale. While you were basically the same weight the week you worked out and ate good and the week you ate bad and didn't workout, that doesn't mean fat wasn't lost or gained. Water weight plays a big role. Trying to find a happy medium between over restricting and over exercising (not saying you do that, just an example) and over eating and not exercising (again, just an example), is the key. It's gotta be something you can maintain. Of course there'll be days that will be way less than perfect, but consistency is what counts.