This mental journey we are on...

You're on Page 5 of 7
Go to
  • Quote: Just because we can not "consume" as usual does not mean we can not celebrate! I think I have missed out on the essence of many holidays because I was so focused on the items I would be consuming for the season!!

Of course , EBT, Is not an IP tool. It is something separate that I think might help me. I am appreciative of the IP diet for a great way to lose weight, a great way for me to pull out if a carb spiral, a great way of eating the results in much more mental clarity for me!

My first group session with EBT is on Wednesday. Haven't gotten my materials yet.

I hurt my back a couple of days ago. I found I really wanted comfort in food. Every little realization is good. I had memories coming up from childhood too. I remembered that often when I wanted some sort of attention, my mom woiuld send me outside with a plate of sandwiches......white bread, butter and white sugar between slices! Oh my, wowser. Just the sort of stuff that triggers the pleasure centers in the brain!

Interesting stuff about this at...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/03/28...ain/index.html
    Are you going to do the e-workshop? I liked the video and am thinking of getting the book to start off. I seem to need things written down in order to absorb better. Would love to hear how the workshop goes...
  • Yes, I am doing the workshop where there is a group meeting via phone. I have not read the book but hope to get to it soon. There are written materials coming in the mail to me also.
  • Quote:
    I hurt my back a couple of days ago. I found I really wanted comfort in food. Every little realization is good. I had memories coming up from childhood too. I remembered that often when I wanted some sort of attention, my mom woiuld send me outside with a plate of sandwiches......white bread, butter and white sugar between slices! Oh my, wowser. Just the sort of stuff that triggers the pleasure centers in the brain!
    Wowser, indeed. I think DH associates love with food. Some grow up with aromas of food and some don't. I fall in the latter category. But, I noticed when I made the richer dishes and pasta, especially if he smelled it walking in, he seemed happier and would start doing stuff around the house. I think I realized this is probably what it was like for him growing up. The heavier and richer the dish, whether at home or eating out, the more happy he was. He would be respectful and eat something that I made if healther but I could tell he did not enjoy it and rarely ate leftovers. I limited a trip back home for him because he has done so well on this diet and I don't know if they would understand and he would not stand up for himself and just eat whatever they served. I have a different association with food and I think that is because of how my family perceives it. It's more about nutrition or necessity ("eat your meat") rather than enjoyment or comfort. Consequently I suspect I was more interested in keeping my kitchen shiny rather than functional. I have gotten better and actually enjoy cooking but unfortuantely all that good stuff I learned to cook would not work on P4. Everyone is different and I do think our younger lives shape our future relationship with food. I adapted to DH's ways when it came to eating. His way became the dominant and so I ate what he ate and for some reason did not insist on lighter eating as that was more my nature. We also ate out a lot (my kitchen issues, his need for hot food and being served. he likes to be served.) and ate cheaply (giant plates with a lots of hidden calories). He resented eating healthy because of the cost and as a result we rarely ate it. I am urban. He is not . I was used to walking a lot and also had that younger metalbolism on my side. It was a combination of not being a pedestrian anymore, eating out and eating poorly (thought quite tasty I must say. mmmm...good times) that resulted in me adding an extra 1/3 to myself, most of which I have not been able to get off. Eating is such an unconscious process. It's hard to stop and think about our actions. I'm hungry. I eat.
    Been watching this video, http://uctv.tv/search-details.aspx?showID=16717 (It's 90 minutes and might take you days to get through it but I found it on the site with the other video on EBT...good stuff, BTW)
    about sugar. Oh my, I honestly had no idea so much had changed to made us obese. It wasn't just t.v. and computers like everyone wants to say. It make sense because I grew up in the 70's and that is when the troublesome food became common. Much more worse now. But, people growing up in the 40's, 50's and 60's might have had a healthier start. I don't know. I have no answers. I just know people can be extremely unkind to persons of weight. And it's no picnic here in So Cal. where I think they believe sizes, 2-4 are average for women and will do anything to keep themselves mini-sized. So much self hate. Keeps you unhappy.
  • I am awake at 3 am due to puppy. Back to watching other videos of Dr. Lisle. I am amazed at this theory! It makes so much sense to me and explains weight struggle and obesity so well! With our rich, concentrated food diet it is no wonder so many people find themselves in a struggle. No wonderso much health is destroyed. It is biologically driven.

It may not resonate with everyone, but I am impressed with this information. Seems it is not only a mental and emotional journey, but also one of dealing with our biology in a world filled with addicting food!

I have been wondering how to live life after the rigid IP phase I. I have so much hope now after learning of EBT and now The Pleasure Trap information.

Another good video link below....

Dr. Lisle on The Pleasure Trap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdqL...e_gdata_player
  • Quote: I am awake at 3 am due to puppy. Back to watching other videos of Dr. Lisle. I am amazed at this theory! It makes so much sense to me and explains weight struggle and obesity so well! With our rich, concentrated food diet it is no wonder so many people find themselves in a struggle. No wonderso much health is destroyed. It is biologically driven.

It may not resonate with everyone, but I am impressed with this information. Seems it is not only a mental and emotional journey, but also one of dealing with our biology in a world filled with addicting food!

I have been wondering how to live life after the rigid IP phase I. I have so much hope now after learning of EBT and now The Pleasure Trap information.

Another good video link below....

Dr. Lisle on The Pleasure Trap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdqL...e_gdata_player
    What I love about the EBT idea is that there is hope, to change/rewire our brains. I love food, and want to thoroughly enjoy it for the pleasure it is, but as I approach Phase 4 next week, the idea of so much freedom is scary. After 15 months of following the directions, now I have to make it without that structure. There is some structure in maintenance, but so much more wide open that it feels intimidating to me. I'm glad they have the phasing out process. I'll just have to take it day by day and trust that the program and my coach know what they are doing. Eventually, my choices will be as routine and ingrained as they became on Phase 1.

Will take a look at the Pleasure Trap stuff too - thanks for posting!
  • Sewmam--I hope you find a path that keeps you feeling good about maintenance eating. I think that stubborn dedication to finding a way to stay healthy gets a person far!

Purple sky--I am about halfway through the video from UC that you posted. Now, that is disturbing and enlightening science!! Can't wait to watch more. I feel like I am gathering good information on how I should eat after the diet. I know IP has guidelines but I want to have a solid plan for myself. Thank you for posting that link!

I am so hopeful that Dr. Lisle is right and that if I stay away from concentrated, refined foods then my brain receptors will reset and whole foods will begin to give me more taste satisfaction. Sure makes sense about my continued cravings for something very sweet considering the addiction I got going. It also makes sense that it is very biologically driven too. I think it is a difficult thing to fight but seems others have made the escape, even though now we are surrounded by concentrated foods and a virtual experiment in pre-prepared foods!
  • Thank you all for sharing some suggestions on resources. What is EBT? Where can I find info about it? It sounds interesting. Thanks!
  • You know, Samba, when I was watching that too long video, his data was alarming and scary. I had long since heard things like, "they want to make you fat" or "they are putting dangerous things in our food", "our food is much less nutrition rich than our parents, actually devoid of nutrition" But, I sort of dismissed it as I heard it from those trying to sell you supplements. I knew fresh food was better but that required cooking. I knew generally speaking that if you cut out the whites (sugar and flour) you would do much better but I always through moderation was the key.

There is a woman I came across when I was looking to eat healthier this past year. Her name is Dee McCaffrey. And she lost over 100 pounds, on her own by cutting out processed foods (years ago). A tiny little thing she is. But, basically she took her science knowledge and applied it to food labels and she realized that is what made her fat. She had to learn to cook without processed foods.

Because of IP, I have become more of a label reader. I grew up on processed foods. It's what I knew. I used to joke that if it did not come out of a can or box, we did not eat it. But, it never occurred to me that was bad.

I can't tell you guys what it means to me to be in the company of you guys. The information and knowledge you share, alone, is worth the price of admission. I did not just do a diet this year. I have to and want to believe this is a lifestyle change.
  • Purplesky-- I think you can see the power of some of these revelations.

I have long battled the bulge. I lost weight and gained back with the best of them. Finally, I realized I was in a fight for my life! So, IP came along and I decided to try again. I never want to have to such wt. loss again. Dr. Lisle says now is the time to become very stubborn. Okay, I will. Whole fresh foods here I come! Self care Of my feelings and emotions...gotta do that too!

I don't think whole food preparation is as complex as many multi-ingredient recipes. I am finding the generation after me was exposed to much more fast food and less kitchen skills than I was.

For Emotional Brain Training try googling or EBT.org.
  • Quote: I don't think whole food preparation is as complex as many multi-ingredient recipes. I am finding the generation after me was exposed to much more fast food and less kitchen skills than I was.
    And that is exactly what I think will help me to be successful. Instead of saying, "oh, I don't feel like cooking" I now know I can get veggies together in 15 minutes and some meats. I also found a Paleo recipe book I will be using. Very, very simple. Real food actually tastes better the less you mess with it. Something I learned on IP. Who knew.

Sewmam, I remember your P3 thread and your meals. It got me so excited I have already been picking out cereals and things to eat with my future yogurt or almond milk. Easy peasy meals that are yummy and good for you. Now that the weird sugar addicts are out of my body it should (I hope) be easier to make choices towards healthy and nutritious.

I am so thankful for this experience and you guys. So much so.
  • You all are terrific.

When I'm really tired, which is most of the time..., I get more stressed about starting Phase 4, but after reading the info they gave me over and over, I am thinking, "I can do this! I want to do this! I WILL do this!" I absolutely love cooking now, and really, I could live with Phase 1 the rest of my life. It wasn't what I was able to eat that was hard. It was the things that I missed that I can now save for a splurge day, like real pesto on real pasta, or chicken enchiladas, or ice cream. I don't need them every day. Having them once in awhile is just fine. Yeah!
  • Quote: You all are terrific.

When I'm really tired, which is most of the time..., I get more stressed about starting Phase 4, but after reading the info they gave me over and over, I am thinking, "I can do this! I want to do this! I WILL do this!" I absolutely love cooking now, and really, I could live with Phase 1 the rest of my life. It wasn't what I was able to eat that was hard. It was the things that I missed that I can now save for a splurge day, like real pesto on real pasta, or chicken enchiladas, or ice cream. I don't need them every day. Having them once in awhile is just fine. Yeah!

Keep saying those things to yourself! In EBT, that is called a grind in! You repeat those affirming word 10 times several times a day. Say it with feeling and power. This type of communication speaks to the subconscious mind. My current grind in is also about the fact that I CAN do this.
  • I'm gonna order that EBT book today...

I am reading Dr. Trans book now and even though I've heard this stuff before, the more I read, the more it sinks in, and I am determined that the knowledge will stick this time. I find that if I can visualize what my body is doing, i.e., pancreas releasing insulin to convert carbs into glycogen to store for energy, etc., it really helps me to understand and make the future choices more automatic. Am making notes as I read and creating little flow-charts to illustrate the processes. I'm a disabled chemical engineer so I like flow-charts!

Grind away, everybody!
  • Quote: You all are terrific.

Sewmam, you are so inspiring to me! I think that you're great!

I just had an "ah ha" moment while reading this thread. When I was young, my mom would ask me, "do you really think that you need to eat that?" and out of defiance I wouldn't just eat one I'd eat a handful or bowlful of whatever it was. But then it became a game, where I would sneak food when she wasn't looking. I would have to eat it quick so she wouldn't find out about it. The "ah ha" is that when I have something "bad" now, I still eat it really fast, and to chase the "high" of the thing that tasted so good, I'll eat more of it.

In P4, it's ok for us to eat something that is not OP, BUT, we need to enjoy it (in moderation) when we have it and realize that it's not an everyday occurance. For me, thinking like this gives me a lot of freedom.

Also, for me knowing the days that I'm really tired or stressed and I don't have time to think about what I'm going to eat, I can always go back to following P1, because it's easy, I like it and it's low-maintenance and can only help me stay at my goal once I get there!
  • I think the idea of imagining how my body is going to respond to, metabolize and use what I am eating might be very useful too. I am glad you brought up the idea. I previously mimdlessly ate anything I wanted. The last think I would do is think about its purpose in my body!

As My friend wasvtalking to me about IP, she read me Dr. Trans book while on dog showing trips. It is really good and helped me want to try IP. Lots of good stuff in there.

I need to begin journaling more carefully, I think. After I got the IP plan down, I didn"t write so much. It is a habit I need tonestablish for later, I think.

Trying to get started with some of the EBT skills. Finding it a challenge to check in with myself 10 times a day! I think it is helping me to learn to do this. Being more aware of of my state and learning to change it without an outside inteevention could be life altering!