Start with 5% for better success!

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I like the idea of 5% increments - much easier to achieve and you feel like you've hit a goal each time. I do very low carb (no bread, cookies, root vegetables, potatoes, pasta, rice, etc) and have essentially cut out all sugar and artificial sugars except for Stevia. After a couple of weeks the cravings actually disappear!!

I focus on what I CAN eat and stay on plan with: lots of lean meat, seafood, eggs, lots of veggies with full fat salad dressing (watch the carbs and sugars on label).

Everyone's different, but it's way easier without the cravings.
  • I had to figure out something that wasn't overwhelming to me. saying "I need to lose over 100 pounds" seems so hopeless compared to "I need to lose 5 pounds," you know? I weigh in weekly I don't really set a time limit on the 5% but I seem to be progressing at a steady rate. I do try to limit sugar carbs but I will eat 1/2 an english muffin or a slice of whole wheat bread occasionally. I don't eat carbs without eating protein and when I do eat carbs I watch the serving size and calorie count. I don't want to get too radical because, if its too complicated I won't be able to follow through. After all these years of failure I have, at least, learned that much about myself! keep up the good work!
  • Hi. Im new at this and after reading others posts in the forum Im really happy and motivated! I dont have to do this alone now. My goal is to go from 210 down to 140 and I think Im going to try to do alot of it in 5 lbs intervals. At least a good amount of it anyways. Im gonna work out more and eat better too.
  • Welcome! I weigh in again tomorrow. I have actually kept track of every calorie I have consumed for an entire week. I am hoping I have lost a couple pounds this week. It is working for me and I have been able to stick to it so far. Good luck!
  • Count me as one of your cheerleaders. I started the same place a couple of years ago. got to 185, fumbled a bit, back on track.

I'm also calorie counting and sorta low carb, although I'm finding "whole foods" works better for me than strictly low carb (I don't eat anything carby that's highly processed).
  • Hello and thanks everyone! Weighed in today! lost another 4lbs!!!! almost at my 5% (my second 5% woo hoo!)!!!!!