Your Must Have Foods

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I know there used to be a thread like this, but I looked and looked and couldn't find it.

I think it would be a good idea for people to list what foods they always have on hand, that way we can have more options by sharing with each other!

Here's my list of foods I like to have on hand:
    - Fresh Ground Turkey - I make burgers, burritos, tacos, burrito casserole, "hamburger" helper meals, etc.
    - Frozen Grilled Chicken Breasts
    - Eggs! Microwaved or boiled.
    - Sliced & Shredded Cheese.
    - Tortillas.
    - Bread. Mainly for an emergency hungry meal. Toast two slices and put a slice of cheese in between, a quick and butter free "grilled" cheese.
    - Canned tuna, plus light mayo
    - Wheat Thins
    - Cottage Cheese - a life saver!
    - Yogurt!
    - Oatmeal
    - Apples, oranges & grapes if I can find fresh enough looking ones at WM.
    - Rice cakes -- but NOT the mini ones in the bag, I always overeat those.
    - Pickles.

I'd LOVE to keep cubed cheese on hand, but I know the bf and I would both overeat it
  • Ground turkey and lean ground beef
    Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
    Chicken legs or thighs (for soups, mostly)
    Chicken sausage (for soups and pastas)
    Eggs

Fresh Fruits (Whatever is in season - oranges, apples, Asian pears, and bananas are my staples right now)
    Frozen berries (for protein shakes)
    Veggies (I always have basic soup veggies and one or more kinds of greens on hand. Other veggies vary based on the menu plan for the week).

Dried beans (for soups)
    Sliced and shredded cheese
    Small corn tortillas
    Reduced sodium chicken broth, if I don't have any homemade frozen.
    Canned tomatoes
    Canned refried beans
    Canned olives
    Greek yogurt
    Lowfat milk
  • Turkey Burgers
    Frozen Salmon Filets
    Canned Black Beans/Taco Seasoning
    Apples
    Tons of roast-able veggies
    Tea, tea, and more tea
    Egg Beaters
    RF cheese
  • Coffee. Beans, cold brewed, instant for hot and instant for iced. Also, tea in green, black and oolong. If I haven't had my coffee or tea in the morning, I'm more likely to make bad choices.

Beans. I keep canned white, canned black, canned chickpeas, canned pintos, canned refried and a couple of different kinds (right now it's lentils, good mother stollard, and yellow eye) of dry beans on hand all the time.

Canned tuna (I can't bear to be without when a craving hits) and eggs

Fresh fruit - whatever I felt like/looked good/the kid wanted/etc. Curently there's bananas, granny smith, strawberries, mango and pineapple - I just finished off the blackberries.

Canned tomatoes - whole with basil, diced, crushed, fire roasted

Polenta - I grind it a little finer when I want cornmeal.

Corn Tortillas (I'm out, but have been missing them)

Sharp and flavorful cheeses (so I eat less)

Nuts: Walnuts and pecans pretty much always. I also have cashews, peanuts and a few pistachios at the moment.

Veggies: Onions and garlic are staples, along with some kind of greens and whatever fit the planned meals.

Frozen chicken stock, frozen grass-fed ground beef.

Misc dairy - milk, plain yogurt or cottage cheese, kefir.
  • Coffee and rolled oats - if i can't start a day properly, i'm guaranteed to get some sort of cravings.

A variety of herbal teas - otherwise i give myself a caffein overdose. In my office I keep a tin of freshly ground coffee, hibicus tea, green tea, a fancy flavored herbal tea mix, earl grey tea and a self-made sugarfree hot chocolate mix. Thus I'm covered for the day. It's simply too difficult to remember drinking plain cold water in the winter...

Carrots - I use them in everything, including mashed potatos, squash soups, cakes, smoothies and salads.

Bananas - I sometimes boil a banana with oats if I want a sweet start for the morning. I base most of my smoothies on a banana. And I have a banana when I need a hearty snack.

Beans and lentils - I buy them dry and always keep some soaked in water for quick meal preparation.

Fruits and berries for smoothies, snack and for adding to oatmeal.

What I don't keep at hand/home: sugar, wheat products (flour, pasta, bread), sweets. Very important. If I get a craving, I don't stand a chance to survive it if I have at hand something that i'm not supposed to be eating.
    • Chicken breast (cooked in the refrigerator for a snack, raw in the freezer for dinners)
    • Lean cooked ham slices
    • Frozen/canned salmon
    • Eggs
    • Low fat cheese
    • Orange juice w/no added sugar (healthier sweet choice than soda if I can't take the sugar craving)
    • Ryvita crackers in all shapes and forms
    • Baked beans (European style in a sugar-free tomato sauce, not American style)
    • Apples
    • Green tea

I can't have any candy/sodas in the house or I'll give in to temptation!
  • Almonds (shelled) for sure! About 15-21 will kill my appetite when I am craving anything to get over I am so hungry feeling.
  • Fresh baby spinach
    Romaine lettuce
    Mushrooms
    Sweet potatoes
    Baby carrots
    Grapes
    Oranges
    Apples
    Bananas
    Canned beans (black, red, cannellini, fat-free refried, chickpeas)
    Canned peas
    Canned tuna
    Greek yogurt
    Whole wheat tortillas
    Hommus
    Tofu
    Eggs
    Whole wheat pasta
    Canned tomatoes
    Diet Coke
  • Excellent lists!
  • These are my staples that I eat 80% of the time! The other 20% of the time I let my hairdown & eat whatever I want to consume!

Carmel vanilla tea
    Unsweetened tea
    St. croix water- lemon, lime, grapefruit, coconut, berry
    Old fashioned dry oats
    Healthy choice 7 grain bread
    Southwest mustard
    Chicken breast
    Tuna in pouch
    Salmon in pouch
    Chicken in pouch
    Shrimp
    Sardines
    Extra lean hamburger
    Low sodium soups
    Low sodium chicken breast & turkey breast
    Better n peanut butter & banana sandwiches
    Apple rounds made into sandwiches with better n peanut butter & dry oatmeal, almonds, raisins, smooshed together & eaten sandwich style.
    Kashi waffles- for the syrup I like to douce them with flavored greek yogurt, sliced strawberries on top of the yogurt, then sprinkled with ground flax
    Romaine Lettuce- mainly use it on for sandwiches & wraps
    Red, orange, yellow peppers
    Sweet potatoe nuked then douced with Better n peanut butter
    Buttercup squash
    Carrots
    Celery with better n peanut butter & raisins for ants on a log or with craisins for ladybugs on a log!
    Water chestnuts rinsed out of the can, love the crunch
    Black beans in can low sodium
    Kidney beans in can low sodium
    Garbanzo beans in can low sodium
    Tomatoes in can- no salt
    Baked potatoe with black bean & corn salsa
    Snap peas
    Cauliflower
    Broccoli
    California blend frozen veggies
    Stir fry blend frozen veggies for stir fry or fajita's
    Avocado- love it with raw veggies or on a sandwich
    Apples- Honeycrisp, Gala, Braeburn
    Strawberries
    Pears
    Papaya
    Watermelon
    Bananas
    Grapefruit
    Oranges
    Grapes
    Kiwi
    Mango
    Better N peanut butter- LOVE this stuff!!!
    Mango salsa- Paul Newman- LOVE this stuff!!!
    Salsa with black beans & corn (homemade by moi) LOVE this stuff!
    Popcorn- plain
    Almonds- unsalted
    Cashews-unsalted
    Eggs- I toss the yoke & use just the whites
    Fiber wraps
    Coconut milk
    Greek chobani yogurt
    Ground flax
    Ground cacao nibs
    Figs
    Dates
    Cherry & orange flavored prunes
    Dried Pineapple rings
    Dried mango
    Sweet potatoe chips with Mango salsa
    Veggie flaxseed tortilla chips with Mango salsa
    Rice & Bean Chips with Adzuki beans
    Wasa light rye with Mango salsa
    Unsalted pretzels
    Luna protein bars
    Cinnamon puffin cereal
    Graham crackers & animal crackers
    Kind bars- dark chocolate cherry cashew
    Dark chocolate covered prunes
    Dark dove chocolate
    Lindt dark chili chocolate
    Blackberry wine
  • Quote: Bananas - I sometimes boil a banana with oats if I want a sweet start for the morning
    What a great idea! I've never thought of actually boiling the banana with the oatmeal.
  • Aside from the usual, I have recently discovered that I love kale chips, arctic zero ice cream (either coffee or strawberry flavor) and more than anything, right now I'm really enjoying PB2Chocolate with some celery. It's basically peanuts that have gone through some sort of a process, but they're all natural. The calories are low so I have 4 tablespoons for only 90 calories, which I mix with water to the desired consistency. I like mine a litter less dense than peanut butter. I have that as a snack and find it quite decadent! I found out about it here and purchased it on Amazon. If you have a Prime membership, you get free 2 day shipping plus a discounted price. I also love my Fage 0fat Greek yogurt with cinnamon and splenda. Yum! Finally, I measure out 100 calorie portions of grapes and eat them frozen. Takes a long time to eat and is yummy.
  • Over time some foods drop off the list and others are added, but these are the staples I always keep in the house right now...

boneless skinless chicken breasts
    turkey or chicken sausage
    turkey bacon
    reduced sodium deli turkey
    eggs, egg beaters and egg white beaters

Fiber One english muffins
    Some kind of light or high fiber whole wheat bread/pitas/tortillas (whatever appeals to me most when I go to the store)
    Whole grain pasta

bagged baby spinach
    bell peppers
    mushrooms
    tomatoes
    acorn squash or sweet potatoes

strawberries, blackberries or raspberries
    bagged apple slices

Chobani 0% (plain, vanilla and peach)
    light cheese sticks/cheese slices
    Yogurt blue cheese dressing

Rao's marinara sauce
    Roasted red peppers
    Frank's Red Hot

90 cal Fiber One bars
    TJ's Fiberful bars
    Reduced sugar oatmeal (individual serving packets)
    Pistachios or cashews
    Light microwave popcorn
    Sugar-free cinnamon candy

A few low-calorie frozen entrees
    Vitalicious muffin tops (chocolate)
    Some sort of small or light frozen dessert (lately, TJ's "Hold the Cone" mini ice cream cones)

Cherry coke zero for my husband

And while not something I keep in my house, I have a skinny vanilla latte from Starbucks almost every day, lol. It definitely qualifies as one of my staples!
  • I try to vary what I eat, so what I ALWAYS have on hand is a pretty small list

Kale, I put that **** in everything (just like the hot sauce commercial, lol)!
    Morning Star spicy black bean burgers
    Sandwich Thins
    natural peanut butter
    eggs
    light sour cream
    Sharp 2% cheese slices
    almonds
    tuna
    frozen mixed veggies
    Protein powder
    Chicken breast
    Wholly Guacamole 100 calorie packs
  • This is usually what I have on hand-

Vegetables - Leaf or Romaine Lettuce, Carrots (I buy the 5lb bag, cashiers usually comment on it!), Celery, Onions, Garlic, misc frozen

Fruit - Apples, berries in the summer (really need to add more fruit!)

Dairy - feta, extra sharp cheddar and mozz cheeses, buttermilk occasionally for biscuits, mashed potatoes, eggs, etc., sour cream, butter (the real stuff!)

Meat - Grass fed beef, ground turkey, amish chicken - usually drumettes, thighs, Chicken Broth (homemade or organic), turkey bacon

Beans - Kidney, Black, Vegetarian refried

Grains - lo carb Tortillas, whole wheat bread, misc pastas, organic brown basmati rice, mini pizza crusts

Misc - Franks red hot, rooster (Srichacha) sauce, Izzy's (local chain) pickles, organic ketchup (so much more robust than the regular stuff with HFCS)

I try to go organic with most of my produce, many times it is the same or even less than the conventionally grown stuff.