What are you reading Jan 2012

You're on Page 4 of 5
Go to
  • Trying to get myself to start reading Life of Pi.
  • Quote: Trying to get myself to start reading Life of Pi.
    I loved that book!
  • "Lester Higata's 21st Century" By Barbara Hamby.
  • I have Life of Pi in my too read pile!! Let me know how it is!!
  • i'm currently reading a book assigned by my english teacher: crime and punishment by fyodor dostoevsky (a russian novel from the late 1800s)

this book is... well, it's interesting. it's definitely not one that i would choose to read. it deals a lot with the main character's- raskolnikov- psychological state after he murders a pawn broker who cheated the peasant people of russia.

he goes into a state of despair from what he has done murdering the pawn broker and the author details all these gruesome dreams and thoughts of his.
    then he reasons with himself that it was for the good of the community- that murdering the pawn broker saved hundreds of people from being cheated out of their money.

it doesn't detail that he has a split personality, but there's definitely a lot of mental conflict. and i think that's one of the things that turns me off about this book. i almost feel crazy myself after reading it.
  • Quote: Trying to get myself to start reading Life of Pi.
    Life of Pi, just might be my alltime favorite read. It is an amazing, emotional, heartwarming read. Read it. =)
  • Quote: I have Life of Pi in my too read pile!! Let me know how it is!!
    I loved this book, but a friend of mine tried to read it and hated it and didn't ever get into it.
  • i am reading "Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter" a thriller by Tom Franklin. My list to read includes "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand the author of "Seabisccuit".I had a gift card from Barnes Noble so have ordered "Descendants", I haven't seen the movie and probably won't.
  • I picked up at goodwill 'durable goods' by elizabeth berg. I think its young adult lit,
    Its good so far, going quickly.
  • Following the rumors about a remake of the Princess Bride (thankfully only rumors), I downloaded that book. I loved the movie (who doesn't?) and I understand the book is even better. Gotta finish 1Q84 first, and then I have a new book that I preordered (can't remember the title) that I was just informed has been released and that's downloaded as well.
  • Quote: I picked up at goodwill 'durable goods' by elizabeth berg. I think its young adult lit,
    Its good so far, going quickly.
    I've read almost every Elizabeth Berg there is! She is such a good writer!! Love her books and they are usually fairly quick reads
  • I have a short story class so I read whatever the professor assigns mostly. I'm too busy to read much else this quarter...

So far, we've read works by Turgenev, Chekhov, and Tolstoy. Next is Nabokov starting with The Doorbell, Music, The Return of Chorb, and A Nursery Tale.
  • Quote: Following the rumors about a remake of the Princess Bride (thankfully only rumors), I downloaded that book. I loved the movie (who doesn't?) and I understand the book is even better. Gotta finish 1Q84 first, and then I have a new book that I preordered (can't remember the title) that I was just informed has been released and that's downloaded as well.
    What do you think of IQ84? I'm not very far in. The Princess Bride is amazing!

Anyway. . . I've stopped IQ84 for the time being and am reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Amazing! Can't believe I haven't read it sooner.
  • I am now reading "I Beat the Odds" by Michael Oher, and a *guilty pleasure* "Too Hot to Hold" by Stephanie Tyler, it's a romantic suspense novel.
  • Quote: What do you think of IQ84? I'm not very far in. The Princess Bride is amazing!

Anyway. . . I've stopped IQ84 for the time being and am reading The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. Amazing! Can't believe I haven't read it sooner.
    I'm only about 150 pages into 1Q84 (hard to tell on the Kindle) but so far I really like it.

I've never read The Handmaid's Tale, but saw the movie. I tried to read one of Atwood's more recent books and couldn't get into it at all.

Looking forward to The Princess Bride.