Running in the Morning?

• Here is my question. I usually do my running later in the day, after work, either before or after supper. I'm doing a Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving morning and I'm not really sure what to eat beforehand. I'm pretty sure not eating isn't the right answer but I'm wondering if I should go with some protein or carbs or ?? Let me know what you suggest. Should I do anything different the day/night before?
  • what do you usually eat before you run? I did a 1/2 marathon and just made sure to wake up 1.5 hours before the run and I had what I normally would have before a regular workout as soon as I got up, so it had time to digest. Make sure you drink enough water the day before, (dont OVER do it, you dont want to be needing a restroom every 10 minutes), but i'd say try to keep everything as similar as you can to your regular routine! Congratulations on signing up and good luck!
  • if your run is relatively short i.e. not a marathon or half marathon, i would eat what you normally eat for breakfast (maybe a larger portion) about 1.5 hours before the run to let yourself digest. they say to not do anything that out of the ordinary because it might produce a wack run.

Complex carbs that are a little simple might be best-- oatmeal, a bagel-- and some water/coffee..

i do eat breakfast but i'm not much for a big breakfast so i ate maybe 300-400 calories worth of food before my last race.
  • I LOVE running early in the morning. I don't eat before I run unless it's more than 45 minutes, but for runs over 45 minutes (5.5-6+ miles) I have 1/4 c oatmeal and 1/2 banana. I don't even know if I "need" food for that modest distance/time but there's at least a placebo effect going on I'm sure
  • Thanks for all your advice. It's not a long run so I'll probably just eat what I usually do. Thanks again!