Time to Get Healthy!

• Hello! My name is Leigh Ann and I just registered here. I stepped on the scale the other day and I was just 0.2 pounds away from a number I never thought I would see. This came as quite a shock, so I decided right then and there that I would change things for good.

I have a few obstacles in my way: I was born with spina bifida, which led to kidney disease. I can't do any low-carb/high-protein diets because too much protein makes the kidneys work too hard, so I am doing a lot of research to find the best diet for me. I also have lupus (diagnosed in 2006), so sometimes I have flares of inflammation and fatigue. However, I have used these things as excuses for too long. Yes, I have lupus, but that doesn't mean I have to eat McDonald's value meals four times a week or not eat any vegetables. It's time to hold myself accountable for my eating and exercise habits.

I started last Tuesday and have been able to make some good changes right away. I cut out soda and junk food. I've replaced red meat with broiled chicken and vegetarian meals. I'm eating breakfast now, which I never used to do. I'm actually eating a lot more food than I was; the difference is, I am eating fresh produce, nuts and lean meats in controlled portions and not salty fries, fat-laden chicken nuggets and carbonated drinks.

My starting weight was 249.8 and I've been able to lose 3.4 pounds since I started, so I'm now at 246.4. My goal weight is 120 pounds. I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you and possibly sharing some of my new recipes (I've always been a good cook, but now I am creating my own and tweaking old recipes to make them lower in fat and calories and higher in fiber and other nutrients).
  • Welcome....This place is great with a great bunch of people. I'll see you on the weigh down.....
  • Hi Leigh Ann! Welcome to 3FC.
  • Welcome aboard!
  • Welcome!
  • Welcome and way to go on changing your diet immediatley. Its tough to do but well worth it. Don't relay on the scale to tell you your progress. It will definatley play tricks on you. Keep up the good work and take it day by day, week by week.
  • Hi Leigh Ann! It sounds like you're in the right mind-set to start making some serious changes, good for you!