Journaling

• Hello,
    One of the newbies here. I have a questions to ask the group. I have read that some journal. I can assume what that means, but for me and other new members, could some of the more experienced members explain what journaling is and how it helps in weight loss? I would like to explore and find new ways to get my mental attitude in a bettter place. Thanks so much, this site is wonderful!

IsabelleMay
  • Journalling for me is when I write down everything I eat. It really helps me hold myself accountable. Even if I eat too much or go over my WW points for the day, I still write it down.

I also write about how I'm feeling, how my weight loss plan is going, etc.

It's a good "release" for me
  • I only journalled for a few months but here's where it helped me:

Write down everything about what you ate:
    What you ate
    What time you ate it
    How many calories (unless you're doing points or something)
    How you felt when you ate it
    How you felt after you ate it

This helped me determine where my calories were coming from, why I was making the food decisons I was making. Sometimes it helps you determine if you're getting too little of something (protein, iron, vitamins) because what you're eating doesn't make you feel any better. And it helped me determine food issues like eating when I was bored, stressed, etc.

My biggest suprise in journalling was discovering how little or many calories there are in things.
  • Sometimes when you are following a plan (counting calories, points, etc.) and you just keep rack in your head, it's easy to go over without meaning to. When I journal (and I am only successful If I journal) I follow the rule "write it before you bite it". Then I am assured that everything I eat is written down. This helps me to plan better and to look back at what I was eating when I was having success.
  • I actually have an Excel spreadsheet that I put my food in every day. The scientist! LOL! I journal my excercise, my binges, things that bother me, my triggers, my fears, my anxieties. I have 2 journals, 1 here at 3FC, a private one at home that gets pretty dark, and a collage book. I put in my collage book pictures of how I look and feel, how I want to look and feel, where I am with my family, my job, everything. Other people go to shrinks, I cut and paste, and write down everything. In fact I have felt more creative about my dieting than alot of things ;-) But it shows me there many facets to this diamond!

Miss Chris
  • i have a little book in the kitchen. i write down everything i eat, and how many calories. i also use the journal on here to write aout how i'm feeling.

i really feel in control when i write things down. i KNOW how i'm doing instead of just saying, "i'm doing ok today"
  • Chris -

You should read, "The Soul's Palette." It's about art therapy (which is what you're doing!). Very good.
  • So there is a name for it! I will have to check it out.

Thanks,
    Miss Chris
  • Journaling helps me see in black & white exactly what I've eaten during the day (in my food journal) and the other kind of journaling I do is mostly how I'm feeling, what is working for me, what is not working.

I think how it helps in weight loss is--you can go back & read over your journal to see how far you've come.
  • OK, I am writing it all down along with my feelings as suggested here. I am hoping it will keep me grounded and help see where I lose control. Thank you for all the great advice! It really helps.

IsabellaMay