Problem - Can't Eat

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Just wanted to give a few practical tips that worked for me when I couldn't eat due to stress a few years ago. With me it was lovesickness, but I am sure that stress is stress and it messes with your insides in a same manner. hihi. I would be throwing up after every attempted meal or could just not even swallow it. So annoying!

- Eat with other people, like a good lunch and just talk about relaxing stuff
    - Eat tiny bites every half hour, just put foods all around the house that are gone in one bite and then during housework or walking somewhere eat it and not think about it
    - Drink your foods ? If you have to 'forcefeed' yourself, a high nutrition shake is the easiest way to go. Make yourself drink atleast one of those everyday.

I wish you the best of luck on sorting things out, but while you are working on that you need to still be able to get your foods in or else it will only make things worse. Mentalstate does not improve when your body gets hungry/malnourished.
  • I'm so, so sorry you're going through this. You've been such a great source of support and inspiration for so many people on this board, and I hope that our thoughts can comfort you even in some small way!

I think a big part of it- and you hit the nail on the head- is that you need to allow yourself permission to be sad. When things change and get difficult, I think a lot of people try to resist the feelings of sadness and/or try to talk themselves out of the way they're feeling. Just remember that your feelings are legitimate. It will seem brighter for you at some point, but it doesn't have to be today. It sounds like both you and your wife should both let your non-essential responsibilities fall by the wayside and concentrate on taking care of yourselves as best you could.
  • How are you feeling now??