DARE: To Say NO to Free Food

• How do you cope when a friend or someone offers you free food?

Usually this is something they have too much of, and try to convince you to take it with you home.

And usually, this food is not on your diet plan.

I have a hard time saying no, but I try to from time to time.

I know we live in a country where food is in abundance, and there is no need to take all the free food from friends, samples at the store, or super cheap deals on food at the store.

How do you cope in such situations?
  • Some days I feel very "in the zone" and say no without thinking, but usually I struggle too.

The trick for being "in the zone" for me is to not give myself any time to consider it. Decide "no" and don't think about it for more than half a second. "I'll take it and eat it later" never works!
  • I have many events at work this week that are offering free lunch and I do bring my own most days but they keep bugging me to join! How do I bow out and them not notice?
  • This is going to sound so unhelpful, but I just say no. It uncomfortable for a moment, but then once I'm removed from the situation I'm proud of myself and I don't regret the decision ever. I've never regretted NOT eating something.
  • If they just won't take no for an answer I take it and either give it away or throw it away. Sounds heartless but sometimes it is the only way.
  • I exercise my "No, thanks" muscle.

"I couldn't, but thank you!"

"Thanks, but I just don't have room for it in my fridge, it'd spoil."

"No, thanks! So-and-so might like to have it, though, they said how delicious it was."

You can say no. Be polite. Be firm.

If all else fails, I'd do like Bargoo suggests and take it only to immediately toss it in a dumpster.