BMR and your daily calorie amounts..

• Hi gang,

I am working on getting back in gear and planning my next few weeks meal options (I like to have several breakfast, lunch, snack and dinner ideas).

I am wondering what my calorie range should really be.
    I have had issues with binge eating in the past and want to make sure I eat enough so that I don't feel like I am depriving myself in any way (this always leads to trouble).. My BMR is around 1740 I found here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

I am planning on making my range from 1800-1900 calories a day for a while just to see if I can actually lose at this rate (I estimate I will lose maybe a pound a week for a while at this).. I am ok with that because I am really pulling myself up out of some bad times with extreme dieting.

It really needs to feel almost like I am not dieting for a while thus the higher calorie count plus I only am walking a bit right now for exercise.. I am pretty much a slug! (will be working on that).

My question is how do you well do most of you lose at eating around your BMI? Curious minds and all...
  • We are about the same weight and I eat 1,800 calories a day and rarely feel hungry. I've been losing about 1-2lbs a week, so i'd say that calorie range is right on target for what you hope to accomplish.
  • Good Morning MzKiki,

Thank you very much for your post. I am very glad to hear it! Have a great day.
  • My BMR is 1472.7, according to that calculator. I eat anywhere from 1000 - 1500 a day (so far this has averaged out to 1256 calories a day).

I have lost about 10 lbs/mo doing this. With the exception of TOM, I do not get hungry very often. My meals are mostly whole grains with protein and a serving or two of veggies cooked in, and fruit for snack.
  • If you happen to obsess about calories (like I do), make sure to give yourself free calories for greens and non starchy veggies. ie: fresh spinach, lettuce, broccoli, kale, cabbage, asparagus, celery, the list goes on.

I understand that they do contain calories, but the count is very low and they are very filling and contain healthy fiber.

extreme dieting can really take a toll on you mentally. Just keep up the good work and don't give up. Your calorie count looks like it will work just fine!