Tank Tops

• So I need some opinions on tank tops. So I have a question that has been nagging at me, especially now that it's finally starting to get warm.

Do you think it would be inappropriate to wear a tank top to work? I work outside at garden centers tending to shrubs and trees. The company I work for has a very relaxed dress code and the only things they really specified against wearing are things like open toed shoes. I guess what I'm really worried about is showing cleavage. I'm afraid that it will look unprofessional and draw negative attention from customers. Customer service isn't part of my job but I fear that it could still reflect poorly on my company and the retailers we contract to.

Am I over thinking this? I think I probably am but I'd appreciate a second opinion.
  • I'd say if your already this concerned about it then I wouldn't. You will just be uncomfortable while you are at work constantly worrying.
    But what type of tank top are you talking about, like spaghetti straps? Yes, those are inappropriate, but the wider strapped tanks as long as they are not to low cut to where you are showing a ton of cleavage I wouldn't think would be a problem.
    Does anyone else your age work there? What do they wear?
  • I was thinking just like a basic tank top that you could find at a place like forever 21.

I don't really have any points for comparison as I am the only person at my company who works at the stores to which I was assigned. There are other vendors around but they are older. Then there are the store associates who I assume have to abide by the store's particular dress code.

I'm among the youngest of the employees so I'm really in a position where I'm trying to prove myself. I don't want to shoot myself in the foot just because of some bad wardrobe choices. I hesitate to even wear shorts even though I was specifically told by my supervisor that it's allowed.
  • Take a look at Lands' End tank tops. If you don't buy that brand, at least you'll have an idea of how covered-up this garment really can be. Lands' End is generally not anyone's idea of slutwear. They sell something called a "shell" (a tank top that's fairly high-necked, sometimes half of a twinset along with a cardigan) which might be your friend.

http://www.landsend.com/ix/womens-cl...eSize=24&tab=2
  • The best advice on dressing for the workplace I ever received was "dress for the job you want, not the one you have". In other words, it is better to dress above your position. I agree that since you are already having doubts about tanks, it is best to forego them.
  • Quote: The best advice on dressing for the workplace I ever received was "dress for the job you want, not the one you have". In other words, it is better to dress above your position. I agree that since you are already having doubts about tanks, it is best to forego them.
    This is great! I'm going to remember this!
  • Quote: Take a look at Lands' End tank tops. If you don't buy that brand, at least you'll have an idea of how covered-up this garment really can be. Lands' End is generally not anyone's idea of slutwear. They sell something called a "shell" (a tank top that's fairly high-necked, sometimes half of a twinset along with a cardigan) which might be your friend.

http://www.landsend.com/ix/womens-cl...eSize=24&tab=2

Exactly what I was picturing.
  • great advice. I think it is always important for us to dress like ladies (or young ladies).

I really like that link for lands end. Thanks for posting it.
  • Thanks for the advice.

I think you guys are right. After giving it some more thought I really don't feel comfortable wearing the tanks I have to work. I didn't even feel comfortable enough to wear it to make a quick stop at the store earlier, there's no way I could have gone through with wearing it during my actual work hours.

Thank you for posting that link to the lands end tops. Those seem like they would be perfectly appropriate.
  • Have you considered a sleeveless polo shirt? I can't wear tank tops at work, but sleeveless polos are allowed, and I stay almost as cool as if I was wearing a tank.