How long did it take you to train for a half marathon?

• I ran my first 5k last weekend, and another today. I think it's safe to say I've been bitten by the 'racing' bug (I use that word loosely as what I'm doing is hardly racing ). I'm planning on signing up for a bigger race in September (in addition to any more 5ks that may come my way between now and then). I initially thought I would sign up for the quarter since 3.1 is the farthest I've done... but it's still so far away, I'm wondering if I would have adequate time to train for the half?

For those of you who have done it, how long did you train? What was your starting level? Any other thoughts/advice?
  • A few years ago I began running in April with my first 5k at the beginning of June ..... I then completed a half-marathon at the end of October .... I followed a 12 week beginner programme for the half marathon .... to begin the training they just wanted you to be able to run for 20/30 minutes ...

I think you have enough time ... but I would find a good beginners programme to follow ....
    Good luck
  • I have a goal of running a half, and haven't made it (I seem to get injured >8 miles). Running it by September would be pushing it and make you more injury prone. I hang out on the runner's world forums, there's a lot of good training threads there.

Good luck!
  • I did a 16 week program for my first and am doing a 14 week for my second.
  • My first half marathon is this September and I'm following Hal Higdon's Novice Half-marathon program (halhigdon.com). It is 12 weeks in length.
  • My program was 12 weeks in length, but I only completed 8 of those before I signed up for an earlier half marathon than what I had originally planned on. My high mileage for weekend runs at that time was a mere 9 miles. In my mind, another 4.2 miles wasn't much. And, for me, it wasn't. I completed the half. Not in a great time, 2:19, but I completed it, injury free, and felt great. I say "go for it". Just my opinion.

Life is short. Running makes it longer!