100 push-ups!

• I'm testing for my second degree black belt in taekwondo next month, and one of the requirements is that we have to be able to 100 push-ups in less than 5 minutes. Yesterday I tested myself and did 50 in just under a minute, but I did them so fast, I couldn't do any more, even though I had 4 minutes to spare. Today I tried again but slowed it way down and took a break after every 25. I did 100!! Granted, I didn't do it in 5 minutes-- closer to 7-- but I'm still amazed that I was able to do 100 (full, not girl-style) push-ups!

Hopefully I'll be well under 5 by next month!
  • Awesome! I can't even do one. I try every day, fail miserable, and then do my silly girl push-ups. I have never been able to do one, and I don't know why.
  • Congratulations! I downloaded the 100 pushups program because I'm so miserable at them, and I am perpetually stuck at 10. The last 2-3 inches are the parts that get me, because my shoulders get collapsy there. Do different muscles come into play there than the higher part?

When I tried the 100 squats "placement test" I could do all 100 already at one go! Did feel a little sore the next day...
  • you can do it!!! , I got my first degree Karate black belt last June, and we also had to do 100 push ups (we didn't have a 5min time limit, but had to do them to the instructors count, if you missed one count you were out and had to wait 6mths before retesting)

try doing some alternative type push ups to isolate each side. (do pushups near a step, on side up on the step other on the floor, (do both sides like that), and maybe try push ups with your feet elevated (they are harder)
    When training I found doing normal ones got to tedious and I didn't really progress very well, it was when I tried other ways that I found I got better.
  • bronzeager, it's definitely harder the further down you go. Personally, I may not be going down as far as some because my chest hits the floor 6 inches before my stomach. I'm not sure about the technicalities of the the muscles being used though...

icedragon, by count? Aaahhh. I would fail miserably. I think if my instructor stood over me as said 'do this now or I take away your belt,' I could maybe get to 60 at once/at a steady pace before I collapsed. I've never tried doing one side higher than the other, but I like that idea. I often put my feet on steps, but this is something to try! Thanks for the input.