Hungry Girl?

• So one of my friends recently introduced me to the Hungry Girl website, which basically includes lots of low-cal recipes for things that are typically very high in calories (like chocolate cupcakes and pizza). I was wondering if any of you had tried cooking with the Hungry Girl recipes and how you felt about them...

I eat a lot of whole foods, so I'm kind of scared off by how many processed ingredients are in these recipes...but gosh, some of them look so good!
  • I've tried a few...some good results, some not so good. Unfortunately, the good results mostly made me want to binge, particularly the baked goods (I eat mostly whole foods too), . However, I do regularly use the pumpkin oatmeal recipe, slightly modified, and I sometimes "fry" by coating veggies with seasoned egg substitute then tossing in crushed up Fiber One (one of her methods).
  • I really like her egg mug recipes- fast and easy breakfasts.... but yeah- too much processed stuff for me. We shouldn't be eating faux desserts...
  • Love her "onion rings" with crushed fiber one cereal as mentioned by the OP. Great addition to a steak dinner and everyone at my table seems to like them.
  • For me, personally, the "faux" is never truly satisfying and just makes me crave the real more. I find I'm much better off eating healthy, whole foods (trying to retrain my habits/expectations) and very occasionally indulging in something fattening and delicious!
  • Trying one right now...stuffed chicken breasts. You flatten the chicken breasts, put in Laughing Cow cheese and some ham, roll up, fasten with a toothpick and bake at 350 degrees. She says for 20 minutes. Yeah, if you want raw chicken. I cook chicken with a meat thermometer after a bad episode - going on 40 minutes now and not cooked to the right temp yet.

ETA: Ok...guess I can't read directions. Says cook covered in foil 20 minutes...THEN uncover and cook more. Duh...
  • I am also a fan of the onion rings, add lots of herbs and seasoning though otherwise they taste sweet.
  • yah there's a lot of 'fake' to her recipes, but one I use is to take a boxed cake mix and add a can of diet soda in lieu of eggs and oil. It makes the cake super light and fluffy. I use a lemon cake and a diet ginger ale mostly, doesn't taste too fake, even if I refer to it as FrankenCake
  • I have a hard time with Hungry Girl. I picked up her cookbook for my boyfriend so we can do some substitutions and it works good for that. However, I would much rather have the "real deal" on a rare occasion than the fake food trying to be the real food. But this doesn't work for my boyfriend.
  • Thanks for all of the feedback, everyone. I guess I'll try one or two recipes just for the heck of it, haha- those onion rings sound great!
  • I don't have any of the cookbooks but I get the daily email. I live overseas and a lot of the pseduo-food ingredients aren't available here. I do make some substitutions and the things I have tried were pretty good, though sometimes higher in calories without the fake foods. The one I'd recommend from HG is chocolate cake mix with low-fat yogurt in lieu of eggs and oil. It's fast, easy, and yummy!
  • She does lean towards processed food but here are 3 recipes that I have really enjoyed.

*Hungry Girl Cabbage Pack

*Ginormous Oven-Baked Omelette

* The egg mugs mentioned above
  • Quote: yah there's a lot of 'fake' to her recipes, but one I use is to take a boxed cake mix and add a can of diet soda in lieu of eggs and oil. It makes the cake super light and fluffy. I use a lemon cake and a diet ginger ale mostly, doesn't taste too fake, even if I refer to it as FrankenCake
    So wait a minute you're saying you use one whole box of cake mix and one can of soda mix it up and bake and that's it?