What thoughts go through your mind when you binge?

You're on Page 1 of 4
Go to
  • Personally, I just think "this tastes good and I don't want to stop eating it." Often I will consciously try not to think about anything so as to keep guilt at bay. I fantasize about binging regularly, about just eating and eating and eating to the point where I can't physically eat any more, and then waiting for my stomach to produce room for more so I can keep eating. I have never allowed myself a truly epic binge like that - the worst I've had was going through a whole 250g jar of natural peanut butter in one night. I know deep down that even if I ordered and ate an entire large pizza or something, I wouldn't feel like it was enough.

There are also lots of justification-type thoughts centered around overeating and binging, like "I'm going to gain but I'll just lose it again" - which I do - and "I'm a perfectly healthy weight" - also true but everyone knows binging is unhealthy disordered behavior.
  • I rarely do terrible binges all in one sitting, but when I do binge or overeat it's:

> I'm within a healthy BMI, I'm fine.
    > I shouldn't be eating this but I'm having a binge so I'll just have a few more bites and finish.
    > (Purposefully pushing thoughts aside, focusing on the carnal pleasure of the food, averting thoughts instead on the tv show I'm watching or the conversation I'm having at the party)
    > And yes, "This tastes so good, I'm going to have some more."
  • omg this is delicious - what else can I eat that gives me this same feeling of comfort and freedom - find something else to eat, and the cycle continues.

"idontcareidontcareidontcare" is also on a loop through my head..
  • It's the worst with sweets, yeah? I can't even enjoy dessert half the time because I am just thinking about where and how I can get more. The obvious solution is "don't eat sweets ever" but we'd all be stick-thin and this forum wouldn't exist if it were that easy.
  • Quote: It's the worst with sweets, yeah? I can't even enjoy dessert half the time because I am just thinking about where and how I can get more. The obvious solution is "don't eat sweets ever" but we'd all be stick-thin and this forum wouldn't exist if it were that easy.

It's salty carbs for me. Tortilla chips with melted cheese, giant pork buns, tortilla wraps with melted cheese & egg...
  • TBH, on a real binge I don't have many thoughts at all beyond a kind of desperate urge for the next, and the next, and the next thing.
  • It's almost panic for me. I can't really describe it... but it's definitely out of control thinking. Like you said. I just want to stuff the feeling until it's gone. It makes me feel ill to think about right now. I haven't let myself go to that place in a long time. I hate it!
  • Yum! This is so good... I'm gonna have to work out extra after I'm done... lol.. I don't really binge though.. Sometimes I will have a piece of cake.
  • I think mostly what goes through my head is nothing, if that makes sense. I find day to day i have a lot of responsibilities, more than a lot of people my age have (Or very different ones at least) And usually I have so much stuff running through my mind, along with daydreaming about food, worrying about weight, obsessing over calories, wondering how I can lose more weight.

Binging is so 'liberating', to just not care for a while, because I find everything just goes away for that time. But it only lasts for the 15 mins or so, longer if I purge. I think that's what makes it addictive to me.
  • I am thinking, "OK, you have to eat all this food really fast so your brain doesn't catch up to how full your stomach really is. After all, you love this food and paid a lot of money for it and you are going to only do this ONE MORE TIME so you might as well make it worth your wile".

Immediately after I feel ashamed and swallow down 6 exlax with my chocolate shake. My binges were always planned for when I didn't have to work the next day.
  • I tell myself that it really isn't so bad. I tell myself that a few more bites won't really matter. I tell myself that I want the food more than I currently care about the way I feel or look--which a complete and total lie.
  • I binged this week on chocolate covered peanuts. At first I looked at them and thought "just leave them alone". Which I've done many times in the past. Then because I was off plan this weekend I thought I'll just have one handful. I was thinking well I already screwed up so a little more won't matter. I had been strictly on plan since January 1st. After one handful it was those are so good "ll just have a couple more... and more... and more... Then it was... I might as well finish them off so I won't be tempted.

Then someone refilled the bowl and I had two more handfuls on my way out of the building hoping no one saw me. I'd have to say I didn't take any while people were watching. Afterwards and I guess during I felt guilty about my lack of self control. I had some the next day too but fortunantly my clients polished them off during the group breaks. Now I'm afraid to weigh tomorrow because I don't want to see a gain
  • Quote: I think mostly what goes through my head is nothing, if that makes sense. I find day to day i have a lot of responsibilities, more than a lot of people my age have (Or very different ones at least) And usually I have so much stuff running through my mind, along with daydreaming about food, worrying about weight, obsessing over calories, wondering how I can lose more weight.
    Yep, this sounds like me. There is nothing going on in my head. It's just quiet. Like I'm spaced out and zoning. I even have a blank, empty stare going on as I binge. Sometimes I'd get the "you have to stop eating this" thought looping through my head over and over, but it never stopped me.
  • Mostly I justify - I usually don't eat sugar, it's ok this once, you might as well enjoy all of it, etc. It's getting easier, though because I'm making myself picture how I feel after a binge. (Also, recording EVERYTHING I eat helps, too) So yeah, I'm trying to picture how I feel afterwards and that helps me to stop.
  • When I binge, it's almost as though I just can't get enough. I can be full to the brim with food, and want more. Even when I am doing it, I want to stop, but it as almost as if I cannot make myself. My mother was the same way. It gets worse with sweets.