favorite food discovery??

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi All,

What are some of your favorite food discoveries on your weight loss journey? Growing up, I didn't eat many traditionally healthy foods. Our home-cooked meals usually involved ground beef, potatoes, and some sort of canned veggie. Now that I am cooking more and eating healthier, I'm am discovering a ton of foods that I LOVE... Foods that I wouldn't have tried before.

Some of my favorites are brussels sprouts (so tasty!), spinach, quinoa, and flavored teas.

How about you? I'd love ideas on what to try next!

• I just discovered baked chick peas as a snack. Who would think but they are delicious. Season them with whatever you like. Try to avoid the salts. Drain, bake the crap out of them so that they are crisp and they are wonderful veggie toppers along with just plain good snack food.
  • I love steamed cauliflower with two or three wedges of Laughing Cow or the new Weight Watchers flavored cheese spreads and spaghetti squash used in place of pasta. I also like vegetables sprayed with a little ollive oil and roasted....asparagas, butternut squash chunks, brussel sprouts all taste really good roasted.
  • Ooo, I love roasted brussel sprouts.
  • Cabbage! Who knew? I love it in soups/stews and stir-fried with olive oil, onions & garlic, S & P. The stir-fried is awesome straight up (I just had a bowl for a snack), hot or cold or in a wrap with laughing cow cheese and deli meats--yummers! It's also good with laughing cow cheese spread on a big leaf and rolled up.

My kids are nuts for brussel sprouts (and lima beans--eww) so that is not new to me. What can I tell you? My kids are freaks for their veggies.
  • Peas and Green beans- never used to be a fan of either but now I can't get enough of them
  • Spinach! I put chopped up spinach in almost every meal now. My new fav green is arugula!
    String Cheese - never liked it much before, now it is nearly a daily event.
    Lemon Juice - on tons of stuff, anything that needs a bit of spark flavor wise. It's surprisingly good on a baked potato!
    Red Pepper Flakes
    My breakfast sandwiches - Turkey/Avocado/Apple on CinnamonRaisinEnglishMuffin OR Ham/Cheddar/Apple on WheatEnglishMuffin
    I liked quinoa already, but now I love it!
    Green Salsa
  • i've been lucky I have always liked healthy food. For me I like healthy food but love fried food. So the only thing I probably wouldn't have tried normally is steel cut oats. Doesn't even sound good but surprisingly delicious.
  • note to self......write 5 pages on this topic. lol! i could go on and on!
  • Quote: I just discovered baked chick peas as a snack. Who would think but they are delicious. Season them with whatever you like. Try to avoid the salts. Drain, bake the crap out of them so that they are crisp and they are wonderful veggie toppers along with just plain good snack food.
    That sounds delicious! Do you have any suggestions for a seasoning?
  • Quote: Spinach! I put chopped up spinach in almost every meal now. My new fav green is arugula!
    String Cheese - never liked it much before, now it is nearly a daily event.
    Lemon Juice - on tons of stuff, anything that needs a bit of spark flavor wise. It's surprisingly good on a baked potato!
    Red Pepper Flakes
    My breakfast sandwiches - Turkey/Avocado/Apple on CinnamonRaisinEnglishMuffin OR Ham/Cheddar/Apple on WheatEnglishMuffin
    I liked quinoa already, but now I love it!
    Green Salsa
    Those breakfest sandwiches sound amazing! I never thought to put apple on a breakfast sandwich, but I am definitely going to give it a try!
  • Thanks for all of these responses... I have definitely added some great foods to my grocery list this week. I especially can't wait to try cabbage and cauliflower!
  • Quote: That sounds delicious! Do you have any suggestions for a seasoning?
    This is my favorite recipe :
    http://viveleveganrecipes.blogspot.c...chickpeas.html
  • Just bought kale at the store yesterday. I will be cooking it over the weekend....hopefully I like it.
  • i love kale in soups! spinach and other greens get all mushy, but kale keeps some texture minestrone or any beans and greens soup works great. i've also heard great things about kale chips.