favorite food discovery??

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • I love kale. Massaged kale salad is awesome as well as garlicky sauteed kale.
  • Lots of foods, but the biggest surprise to me was butternut squash. Growing up, I got hives just thinking of squash - to my child-brain, even the name sounded gross! Somehow that thinking stuck around when I became an adult and I was resistant to trying it. BUT, once I did, I learned that it's pretty much the most delicious food ever. How sad for me, missing out for so long.
  • Wasabi peas and steamed edamame beans are my favourite right now. Specially when I want junk food I oversalt edamame and add black pepper for some heat.

Also, really loved baked acorn squash, so easy to make and tastes so buttery. Next is spaghetti squash on my list.

Also, adding lemon juice on top of baked brussel sprouts eliminates bitterness ;-)
  • I always loved vegetables and fruits. I think roasting as a technique has been an eye opener. About the only vegetable we never ate as I was growing up were winter squashes so the world of butternut, kabocha etc has expanded my veggie world. The product that has become a staple for me are the shirataki noodles- both the regular and the ones with tofu.
  • Quote: The product that has become a staple for me are the shirataki noodles
    We've been wanting to try these, but they don't seem to make it this far North...maybe it's because they're packed in liquid? I attempted to order some from AsianFoodGrocer.com and, while they would ship it, they posted a large advisory warning that shipping in cold weather could ruin the product/cause the packaging to leak.

Have you ever come across dry ones? Is that even possible (I don't know much about them)?
  • Mine would definitely be cauliflower. There are awesome vegetable-dense, low-calorie cauliflower puree soups and creamed cauliflower recipes out there. I hate the taste of raw cauliflower but cooked and creamed with low fat milk or a potato it's delicious!

Awesome thread
  • Sweet potato fries! I actually prefer them to regular fries now!
  • Quinoa in place of rice,
    Spaghetti squash in place of pasta noodles,
    Spinach (I buy it frozen and fresh. It goes good with anything),
    Garlic (we are nuts for this stuff),
    Clementines,
    Greek yogurt,
    Arugula,
    Cauliflower (I make pizza crust out of it, but it also would taste good as a mashed potato replacement),
    I also like those wheat sandwich buns. I like to top them with deli meat turkey, slices of avocado, alfalfa sprouts, and some kind of creamy white cheese.