Why is CHEESE on the no-no list during Phase 1?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi everyone,

I'm starting Dr. Tran Tien's diet and reading his "Unbalanced Diet" book. I am used to doing a low-carb diet, but it will be hard to stop using butter and cheese that I've begun using too liberally.

To justify the lack of cheese, I need to rationalize it. I couldn't find an explicit reason why we cannot eat cheese in his book/pdf. Does anyone know why? The only thing I can think is because it is a dairy and dairy products like milk contain lactose (sugar), but cheese is usually 0 carbs.

Thanks everyone!
  • I'm not an expert on here (just 3 wks) - but I THINK it has to do with the fat content and in which order your body looks for fuel. It will burn newly digested fat before burning stored fat - and it's the stored fat you're trying to get rid of. So that is why this diet is low carb AND low fat for a finite period of time.

Anyone else - correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Some coaches have allowed 1oz of low carb low fat cheese, like a parmesan or a soy cheese instead of milk.

I am under the understanding it was omitted so we could have a lower fat diet, because it is a saturated fat, because many people can't just have a little, and because many are allergic to it and those allergies often cause fluid retention.

I know Dr Tran permits limited use of dairy products in his diet.

I would work this out with your coach or make call and see how you do if you are doing it on your own.

As you already pointed out, it is not part of the plan or on protocol for phase 1.
  • Thanks ladies! The low-fat part is what I need to keep hammering in. On Atkins, fat in my mind was a good source of energy (or a good excuse to eat baaaaacon). I definitely want to get on the right plan and make it as effective as possible. Thanks again
  • Quote: Thanks ladies! The low-fat part is what I need to keep hammering in. On Atkins, fat in my mind was a good source of energy (or a good excuse to eat baaaaacon). I definitely want to get on the right plan and make it as effective as possible. Thanks again
    I'm with you. I started Atkins in Aug and has success initially and loved the part about being able to have the fat. But that stopped working and now here I am - and having more success here.

I probably over did the cheese - it's a weakness of mine. And while it's not on protocol I will admit I made a small cauliflower pizza w/ a little cheese last weekend. But I don't plan to do that again.

I'm struggling with the 'low-fat' part of this b/c I do believe it has benefits - but I'm committed to doing this till I get the weight off then I'll go back to an Atkins 'like' diet and add back a little fat. So far IP is working

...and everything is better with BACON!
  • Quote: Thanks ladies! The low-fat part is what I need to keep hammering in. On Atkins, fat in my mind was a good source of energy (or a good excuse to eat baaaaacon). I definitely want to get on the right plan and make it as effective as possible. Thanks again
    What some people don't realize is too much fat can also contribute to insulin sensitivity issues.
  • I absolutely love cheese. I started reading this post because I thought someone might offer up a cheesey like alternative. So far, I'm sticking to the protocol and can't wait until maintenance someday when cheese is acceptable.

Well, from what I've experienced other times losing weight, is that if I ate cheese I would not lose for that week. It just seemed to slow my weight loss. Although, I've been known to eat a lot of cheese at a time. Moderation hasn't been my strong suit so that might play a factor! ha ha!
  • I heard the new omelet packages have real cheese in them.
  • Quote: I couldn't find an explicit reason why we cannot eat cheese in his book/pdf. Does anyone know why? The only thing I can think is because it is a dairy and dairy products like milk contain lactose (sugar), but cheese is usually 0 carbs.
    Hi Katie, and welcome if I haven't said so before. And your logic about carbs is good, it's just, as others have observed, that sugar + fat, whether it's in bacon, cheese, or candy, is deadly.

But the reason I'm writing is I wish someone else would speak up for nutritional yeast. It does produce a rich, cheesy taste and it is allowed. I love it occasionally on broccoli and cauliflower.
  • Quote: But the reason I'm writing is I wish someone else would speak up for nutritional yeast. It does produce a rich, cheesy taste and it is allowed. I love it occasionally on broccoli and cauliflower.
    Is nutritional yeast different from regular yeast? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with my yeasts...
  • Quote: Is nutritional yeast different from regular yeast? Sorry, I'm not too familiar with my yeasts...
    Yes, quite different (and edible, mixed with a little water or sprinkled over other food). Here's some information that might help. Once you've got the basic info, Google will bring up lots more. http://vegetarian.about.com/od/glossary/g/nutyeast.htm
  • Quote: Yes, quite different (and edible, mixed with a little water or sprinkled over other food). Here's some information that might help. Once you've got the basic info, Google will bring up lots more. http://vegetarian.about.com/od/glossary/g/nutyeast.htm
    Thanks for this - I've never heard of this before - but I'll be checking it out. Wondering how it would do as a sauce thingy over my fajita meat/veggies
  • Quote: Yes, quite different (and edible, mixed with a little water or sprinkled over other food). Here's some information that might help. Once you've got the basic info, Google will bring up lots more. http://vegetarian.about.com/od/glossary/g/nutyeast.htm
    Linden -- thanks for this info. I'm off to the store for some this weekend. What a great alternative for veggie flavor.
  • Quote: Thanks for this - I've never heard of this before - but I'll be checking it out. Wondering how it would do as a sauce thingy over my fajita meat/veggies
    I think it might be interesting, with the right seasoning. But I'd try it on something simple, like cauliflower, first. It makes a great dip that you can add lots of different seasoning to, like tamari and some OK mayo.

It's interesting. This is the 3rd time I've tried to get people interested in it, and you all are the first takers.
  • Quote: It's interesting. This is the 3rd time I've tried to get people interested in it, and you all are the first takers.
    You dangled cheesy-like flavor in front of our noses and we're NOT supposed to jump lol?