exercise day off

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • My trainer insists I take a day off. He really wanted me to take two days off but I can't bring myself to do that.

Today is Sunday my exercise day off. I can't think of anything but the guilt I feel not working out and I am even limiting my calories. I go outside and run around with the kids but I miss the gym. I know my muscles need a break... but does anyone else have a hard time on their day off?
  • I have been taking Sunday off. Took Saturday and Sunday off this week. I do feel a little guilty, but its nice to have a break and probably very important to the muscles I've been working this week. Try not to get down. Everyone deserves a little break.
  • Nope...not me! I run 4 days a week and GLADLY take the other 3 days off. Actually, when I first started, I ran/walk for 20 minutes 6 days/week and did good with my fat loss. But when I started running for miles and miles, I had to cut down the amount of days/week because it effected negatively both my performance and stalled/slowed down my fat loss. 4 days is PERFECT for me as the lbs are really flying off! Additionally, I ABSOLUTELY DO NOT cut down my calories on non-workout days....and I allow myself one CHEAT MEAL per week. I've lost 40+ lbs in a little over 4 months.
  • I always feel guilty when I don't work out. I try to just keep active by moving a lot. Not much advice, but I do get it.
  • I don't feel bad about off days when I put in a good exercise week.
    Our bodies need time off to be ready for the next round.

I will stretch or maybe do a light yoga session, go for a walk on rest days if I do feel the need to be active though.
  • I'm glad you posted this, because I had a similar concern. I've been going 5 days a week but I never manage to get out on Saturdays and Sundays... I usually spend them catching up on homework and walking the 20 minutes to campus to go to the gym is a difficult task (especially in the frigid Montreal weather!). I'm glad people can manage off-days without stalling weight loss!
  • I took Saturday off and yes. I had a terrible time with it. I justified in my mind that I was 'okay' because I had gone sledding and walked up and down that snowy hill a dozen times chasing after kids but still.... it was tough.

This morning I decided I needed a plan. I dont like this guilt stuff! So my plan is to run Sun-Friday. Sat off. And Mon-Wed-Fri to do 30 Day Shred or another muscle building workout. Im am seriously in to these muscles Ive been getting.
  • Your 'day off' doesn't really have to be a day off. You could do something like a light walk and stretching or yoga. I prefer days off where I do something like work on my flexibility.
  • I love and enjoy my my days off... Some days I exercise twice/day so I feel I deserve them... Some days off are active days off but others are just plain ole lazy days of doing nothing ...
  • I was pretty active on Sunday my day off... I hauled 5-6 loads of "stuff" up the stairs, played soccer outside with my kids.

It is just the excitement of going to the gym on Sunday. I wish there was a yoga class on Sunday. That is a great idea. Can't think of what I could do at the gym on a day off.

But, today is Monday! YAH! I go at 9 and warm up and do abs, 9:45-10:45 I spin and 11 I work upper body with my trainer. YAH!
  • I feel badly when I take my day off - like I should be doing something. I typically take off Saturdays because of the running around for sports activities with my children. I took this Sunday off, too, so feeling doubly bad! I will be working extra hard at the gym tonight, though.
  • I used to have a hard time with it, but then I realized exercise 7 days per week was not sustainable. I am all about absolute sustainability.

I also took a whole week and a half off after a year's worth of never missing a workout. Best thing I ever did! My work outs now mean more. They're energized. I can train harder and better with rest.
  • im having a really hard time not doing exercising..its almost like ive become addicted to exercising..its like..if i dont do an hour or two, i feel like crap and that sucks..im trying so hard not to do anything but i want to..i dont feel guilty but i feel like im not happy if i dont do anything..and its like.. calorie burning is like a goal..when i see my calorie burn go up, it makes me want to do it even more and go further then i went last time..the most ive burn in a workout session has been 900 calories and now i want to surpass that..and now that im trying to take a day off because my scale has stalled.. i want to eat and eat and eat cause i feel depressed from not working out.
  • Your body needs the break. I'm with Nelie...if you feel that bad not exercising on the 6th/7th day, do some light stretching or yoga.
  • I always have a loss after a rest day. Even after a 2 day break (my MIL was in town and we went out to eat a few times) I had a loss. I try to enjoy my days off, sometimes I do obsess about workouts on my days off. I feel like I should be doing something, but I know that resting is good for my body so I try to relax.