ONE habit to change

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • So, some of us do complete overhauls and some of us do things a little at a time. Usually, though, we are pretty aware of some of our WORST habits. For some of us it is drinking soda (or pop, depending on where you live!); for others, eating at night; for some, sweets; for others, portions. Some are completely sedentary. Most of us have some combination of these, admittedly, but there will still be a few standouts.

So, if you pick ONE of your habits to change, which will it be and how will you do it?

For me...I've been working on this for a while but still have trouble with portion sizes. I *love* to eat, and I like big plates and I like seconds.

The answer is restricting portions and sizes. To do this, I will

1) weigh/ measure if appropriate
    2) record all in the truth-teller (aka TheDailyPlate)
    3) make up my plate at counter or stove, rather than scooping servings at table

I'll let you know how it goes!
  • Excercise.

30 min, 5 daysd a week and I don't care WHAT it is. Walk, wii, bike, swim -- just anything!

I'm trying to earn a PALA for motivation.

I did it once years ago and I want a fresher PALA patch, darn it!

A.
  • Oh this took no thought what so ever what I need to do.
    STOP STOP STOP going out to eat!!!!! I love going out fast or sit down to eat and since I live alone....why cook??? How much yummier does a simple little egg taste cooked on a grill compaired to at home......
    What will I do
    1. Plan. Weekend look at my schedule for the week and figure out where I will be, when, and what I will be doing there. For example if I am on the go all day I must have a lunch that doesn't need to be refrigerated.
    2. prepare. That means if busy during the week cook during the weekend for the whole week. Before I sit to watch tv my lunch for the next day MUST be prepared and packaged.
    3. Until I am used to taking my lunch leave a sticky note on my door that I will see before I leave. Yah dorky but you have no idea how my mind DOESN'T work in the morning. lol
    4. don't carry money with me.
    5. Eat 5-6 small meals so I do not get hungry and think I need to stop and get womething.
  • for me, my worst habit was definitely my "all or nothing" mentality! I ate a bad lunch so screw it, eat like a line-backer for the rest of the day! or "i won't look like a supermodel after all this so why bother"

Overcoming that ridiculous way of looking at things helped me so much ~ a bad meal means ONE bad meal, not a free-for-all. I get back on track as soon as it's over, and it doesn't ruin anything!
  • Exercise is something I have been majorly neglecting. I am shopping for a swim suit now, because I really want to start swimming - so I will buy one in the next few days, and I will go swimming at least once next week!! (starting small, but that's OK )
  • Wow, thanks for the eye opener! I hit 4 of the 5 bad habits above. Pop is one thing that I have learned to give up 99% of the time. I think I know what I need to work on. Thanks for the kick in the rear.
  • Quote: Excercise.

30 min, 5 daysd a week and I don't care WHAT it is. Walk, wii, bike, swim -- just anything!

I'm trying to earn a PALA for motivation.

I did it once years ago and I want a fresher PALA patch, darn it!

A.
    Thanks for the link!
  • My worst habit is letting things snowball, what's the point of exercising if I can't do my whole hour, what's the point of eating right if I didn't exercise, why worry about how much water I get if I'm not eating right anyhow? It keeps going into other areas of my life too, I create this horrid downward spiral, not good! I need to learn that 1 deviation from the plan does not mean that the whole plan goes out the window.

Yes, thanks for the link Astrophe. I just joined PALA, now to remember to log my stuff each day.
  • Healthy snacks instead of quick ones when I am up feeding the baby. Just because nursing makes me hungry doesn't mean I have to eat junk.
  • For me it's WATER...I hate the stuff!!! I need to drink a lot more of it. Usually I pick just have a diet pop instead. I had 4 cups tonight though (should keep me up most of the night peeing :P ), so I guess that's a decent start. I MUST keep it up!
  • This is a habit I haven't seen mentioned, so I wonder if anyone else does it...

I will have a hardcore craving, usually for pizza or burgers. I will fight the urge BUT I will eat something bad for me at home or just over-eat because, "Well, at least I didn't choose the fast food!" and I convince myself that it's ok because it's still better than what I actually wanted.

I want to stop that. Meal planning would be a helpful step. That's something I struggle with because I eat what I'm in the "mood" for at the time. I just need to remind myself that this behavior is unacceptable and will not help me reach my goal. I'm not giving in to my cravings for a reason and I need to make my good choices count.
  • My bad habit is most definitely probably giving into cravings. I let them consume me sometimes.
  • outside of bingeing (which is a miserable habit), my WORST habit is snacking late. arg! i think it's ok to have a snack after dinner, but i usually (read:always) have more than one.
    i'll have my snack after dinner. if i NEED to have something else, i'll have a clementine. they're small, right?
  • For me it's grazing-- a handful of this a bite of that. I really have to watch that.
  • One small habit I am working on currently - besides a bunch of others of course - is my shopping. I have lately taken to writing shopping lists and sticking to them! Emptying my home of all sweets was one of my smartest moves ever and sticking to a shopping list helps me to only buy healthy things and definitely no binge triggering stuff (candy, chips, rolls .... ugh).

Pays off big time. Last night I had intense stress due to finishing my exam preparations for today in the very last minute and had there been any candy at home, I would have eaten it until all had been gone. Seriously. But since there was no candy - and believe me I did search even though I was pretty sure all was gone - I remained relatively calm and tackled the exam stress without it. Makes me proud too.