Annoyed with Comments

You're on Page 3 of 3
Go to
  • I don't get any comments about not eating meat, but then again, I don't really talk about it. I also am not into the whole label thing, and avoid words like ovo/lacto/vegetarian/vegan. I eat what I eat, and I don't eat what I don't eat.

I am curious to know how old these bullies are. Anyone who comments on Vegetarianism, or someones diet at all, is immature and rude.
  • I'm a vegetarian (and no, 'vegetarians' do NOT eat fish.. fish is meat, believe it or not), but on the rare occasion that someone teases me I just tease back at em. I don't care if they eat meat and I never start pulling out the slaughterhouse videos when they have meat for lunch. Their food is not my business!

Oddly enough, my coworkers seem more worried about offending *me* even when I tell them it's really not bothering me.

Only reason I even MENTIONED being a vegetarian was I declined the free holiday turkey and had it donated instead.

Way back about 5-6 years ago, before I was veggie, I used to get ALL SORTS of comments on my food - I was on the body for life plan and had to pull out my mini meals every few hours - they weren't all that appetizing looking most of the time, but seems more people had to comment on em. I got them back - I'd start bringing stinky or REALLY icky looking stuff to work to eat with them. Hee hee.
  • This is an interesting thread! I've never labelled my self as an anything-arian. I do eat fish and some chicken, eggs and dairy - loathe pork and beef as a rule ( I find it just tastes bad overall) I am more concerned about how it was obtained, whether you call it ethical farming or susatainable harvesting. In other words no "concentration camp" eggs. Free range or naturally raised and fed, or wild caught in the case of fish, might be more expensive - but I can live with myself, until I make the total switch over
  • My ex's mother used to hide bacon in her food and thought it was hilarious to watch me take a bite. She was constantly "forgetting" that chicken was meat and trying to get me to try a dish claiming it was vegetarian. She was from Columbia and she had some weird notions about vegetarians. She thought that if I ate meat, she would win something. It was like a game to her. She also called me Vanessa, which is not my name. I really hated her.

I don't tell anyone I'm a vegetarian anymore - and nobody notices.
  • Quote: My ex's mother used to hide bacon in her food and thought it was hilarious to watch me take a bite. She was constantly "forgetting" that chicken was meat and trying to get me to try a dish claiming it was vegetarian. She was from Columbia and she had some weird notions about vegetarians. She thought that if I ate meat, she would win something. It was like a game to her. She also called me Vanessa, which is not my name. I really hated her.

I don't tell anyone I'm a vegetarian anymore - and nobody notices.
    Maybe 15 years ago when I became a vegetarian, my brothers would give me vegetarian foods and tease that they contained meat once I took a bite (ie brownies, etc). We were kids. My older brother has been a vegetarian for at least ten years and my younger brother loves his bacon, but was a vegetarian for a year or so.

The above? That's just wrong.
  • All we can do is just not take the bait. Then the mockers and teasers will get tired of unrewarded efforts and eventually quit.
  • I tend not to mention it to anyone but I did feel really guilty the other day when I went to lunch with my mum and there were no vegetarian options on the menu...everything had meat in it! everything! I was quite shocked and we had to go somewhere else.

One thing that annoys me are places that list something as vegetarian but it has meat based rennet in the cheese, it even cheaper to use vegetarian rennet. I've given up eating out nowadays.
  • Ugh, I so know how you feel. Living in Michigan, bear hunting is big. I HATE IT. Every summer I visit a place called Oswald's bear ranch in the upper peninsula. Such beautiful and amazing creatures, those bears are. I can't stand the thought of people hunting them...much less eating them.

Maybe I'm not vegetarian....pescetarianism is not vegetarianism....so I guess I can't say anything without sounding hypocritical, but this still is disgusting to me.