New to South Beach

• SBD has been recommended by my doctor for weight loss and to help control sugars/cholesterol. So tomorrow I am starting day 1. I'm a 34 year old stay at home mom to a 3.5 year old. I have about 75 pounds to loose. I've tried Atkins and although i lost weight i didnt feel i had enough variety though. hopefuly sbd will be different. Is it worth buying the books?? I've done alot of research online and just found this website tonight. Just wondering if i'll be able to find enough info on each phase and recipes without buying the book, or if it's worth the $20 investment?
  • to The Beach, Juliann!

Yes, it is essential to read the book so you will be able to understand the fundamentals behind this way of eating. We have a lot of information here on our forum, but the book goes into depth and you'll need that to be successful on this eating plan. You can borrow the book from the library, and often you can find it in thrift stores or garage sales. There are two books by Dr. Agaston on The South Beach Diet, and either one will give you the guidelines you'll need to get started, although the newer book has updates and an exercise program geared for each phase.

Good luck, and we hope to hear from you often!
  • I would recommend checking out Paper Back Swap for acquiring books at no cost to you. It's a great website that you can exchange books with other members. PM me for my referral email so I can get credit if you do decide to become a member. It's where I got a copy of the South Beach Diet Cookbook
  • Just wanted to say welcome here too! Glad to see you joined in the daily thread... I find being in touch on here a great source of motivation and support.
  • Welcome!

I checked out books from the library until I could get my own copies.

GiggleGoddess has a great suggestion, but you won't be able to PM her until you have 20 posts and 20 days...it's a spam thing.

Best wishes! I'm totally off blood pressure meds and at one point even got concerned that my BP was too low. My cholesterol is in normal range and I'm hopeful it will drop some more. My best result was triglycerides. They went from 200+ to 87. Stick with it and your numbers will certainly get better.