The snow diet

• I highly recommend it, foolproof.

Take a couple of feet of snow and multiple local road closures and closures of amenities. Ideally this to happen unexpectedly on the day before you normally go grocery shopping so you have virtually nothing in the house. Whatever food you have is what you have, and you have to make it last so if you binge it there's nothing. You will get creative with recipes when you realise the ingredients you have left are rice noodles, wheat flour, cornflour, eggs and vinegar. Oh, and half a pack of soy mince.

If you do decide to break out and walk down to the local store to get some chocolate treats then you will have to keep pulling yourself out of the snow or nordic ski there. Either way you'll probably have burned off whatever you are buying, and most likely turn back after the first 18 yards when you realise what a stupid, stupid idea that was!

So there you have it, the snow diet. Void in areas where snowmobiles are in use.
  • Quote: I highly recommend it, foolproof.

Take a couple of feet of snow and multiple local road closures and closures of amenities. Ideally this to happen unexpectedly on the day before you normally go grocery shopping so you have virtually nothing in the house. Whatever food you have is what you have, and you have to make it last so if you binge it there's nothing. You will get creative with recipes when you realise the ingredients you have left are rice noodles, wheat flour, cornflour, eggs and vinegar. Oh, and half a pack of soy mince.

If you do decide to break out and walk down to the local store to get some chocolate treats then you will have to keep pulling yourself out of the snow or nordic ski there. Either way you'll probably have burned off whatever you are buying, and most likely turn back after the first 18 yards when you realise what a stupid, stupid idea that was!

So there you have it, the snow diet. Void in areas where snowmobiles are in use.
  • Great diet! I think you've hit a nutrition breakthrough! LOL!
  • heehee, I love it!

I'm walking into town shortly, the roads are totally clear but the pavements are very poor. May I recommend QVC's Wintertrax grips? This is the first year I've had them and they really do help. Not to stop you sinking gently into drifts though.

I managed to get one carrier bag of shopping done just before the blizzards hit - mince. I made a giant vat of mince yesterday. I have meals for 11 days. Of course, they're all mince. Mince and rice. Mince and tatties. Mince in a wrap. Maybe this is another version of the snow diet - mince until you're so sick of it you'd rather eat nothing.
  • Can I ask what "mince" is?
  • Is "hamburger" the American for mince? Or could it be "ground beef"?

We had mince tonight. The intention was bolognaise sauce but I had to go through ice and snow on a mercy mission to the surgery halfway through so I added a few shakes of Lea & Perrins. There was logic at the time and it was good.

Surgery is "doctor's office", I think.
  • Yup, ground beef. I confused a lot of people by asking where I could buy a mincer recently and they didn't know what sort of a contraption I might possibly want!
  • Ah. A regional diet, then.
    I'd have no problem in snow-free florida... unfortunately.
  • Quote: Can I ask what "mince" is?
    Hamburger. And tatties, I believe = potatoes
  • that's great
  • Quote: May I recommend QVC's Wintertrax grips?

I've heard good things about these from people who walk. Don't really suit me, though, what I wear on my feet doesn't do a lot for my wheelchair.
  • This is a great diet idea! The weather here is currently perfect to try it =]
  • Well keep in mind when foraging for your meal of keep, keep far away from snow that is any color but white! rotfl!!
  • Saves you money not only on food, but on the cost of a snow shovel as well. Very economical!! XD
  • This is probably a silly question- I am sorry...

Don't you have pantries?? Cupboards, where you stock, cans of soup, canned fish, bread mix, canned veggies??

I guess it just seems strange to me to not have a couple of days or weeks (in my house) of food, you know just in case - power outage, snow, rain, illness.