Are there any movies about women getting fit?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Like them going from fat or just unfit to getting fit? Or are there any movies about women becoming strong warriors? I tried looking this up, and I'm not going to go into detail what kinds of sites came up on the search. ::rolls eyes::
  • Disney's Mulan?

Enough, with Jennifer Lopez, is about her training to literally kick her abusive spouse's ***. Those are the only two that immediately come to mind - but I'll keep thinking!
  • Is there a Bette Midler movie were she loses weight? Ruthless People.

There is a Barbara Stiesand movie where she gets in shape. The Mirror has two Faces.

You can maybe ask at the library or video store about some movies.
  • Muriel's Wedding....

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110598/

Such a cheesy ABBA filled movie(I LOVE ABBA). My obese aunt and I found this movie just after high school and FELL IN LOVE with it.
    It is a story of a young woman who is over weight, insecure, and unkempt. She starts out basing herself worth on her dating and getting married. Ends up loosing weight, getting fit, finding her self and realizing a man DOES not make who you are.

Like I said, this is a low budget, cheesy film, but it is one I always recommend for a good look at self worth, and ABBA filled fun =)
  • Oh! What about Fried Green Tomatoes? I mean, that's definitely not the whole plot line, but the mini-trampoline scene? Cuuuute.
  • Yes, the Bette Midler one was what sprang to mind first.

Then "Death becomes her" ~ I think Goldie Hawn gets fit on her own, before taking the magic potion.
  • The American version of the movie "She-Devil" should've had a heroine who lost weight--that's what happened in the book (The Life and Loves of a She-Devil)--but instead she just kinda fixed herself up in general.

There was a British miniseries version that stuck much more closely to the original novel. It was a fair bit better and a whole lot darker. Hmm, I should re-read that book.
  • Well, this isn't about a woman, but I always liked the movie Run Fatboy Run. It's about a guy (Simon Pegg--love him!) whose goal is to run the London marathon, even though he's an out of shape smoker. It's a little bit of a cheesy premise involving an ex and their son and a potential suiter of hers (Hank Azaria--love him too, but like I said, a little bit cheesy). But I really like the stuff about him starting to get his *** in gear and get ready for the marathon, and in many ways I find it kind of inspirational. Not a bad movie for David Schwimmer's directorial debut....
  • Oh man, Death Becomes Her is a crazy one.

My favorite film ever with references to weight, is definitely Bridget Jones's Diary, but... that's not so much about weight loss, as it is weight struggle.

It seems like there were always movies about female athletes on Disney when I was growing up.. like basketball, or soccer, or ice skating movies.
  • The first one that came to mind, was Bridget Jones's Diary.

OHH..and The First Wives Club. Bette Midler's character loses some weight..
  • Million Dollar Baby. Obviously it's more than than that and a tear jerker, but lots of fitness/empowerment happening there. I haven't watched it in years, it's on my netflix queue though!
  • I really liked Oprahs "Make the Connection" but it was more of a documentary about her getting fit when she was really skinny in the 90's
  • Oh, I love Muriel's Wedding! Now I want to watch it again!
  • Not about getting in shape, but I like My Big Fat Greek Wedding - for several reasons - but in this case I would point out that I love that she gets herself out of her "frump girl" shell all on her own, and gets herself out of the family business and into work that gets closer to her dream, and all because she took the initiative. Very inspiring.
  • flashdance?