What are you going to do...

• I was reading a diet email newsletter I subscribe to and they had an article about how Americans tend to gain 5 pounds on average over the holiday season! So instead of saying on Jan 1, 2003 "boy all that overeating wasnt worth it and now I have xx amount of extra pounds to lose" what are you going to do to avoid this?
    I think if you plan ahead maybe it wont be so hard to stick to it!

One thing I will do (to get the list started) is to not bake cookies this year. I say its for friends and family but end up "sampling" way too many. Also we have lots left over just tempting me until they are gone. So out of sight-out of mind for me, hopefully!

what are your plans to avoid the holiday 5+ pounds?
    laura

• Hmm..I don't suffer from the Holiday+5....

I suffer from the holiday+10 at least!

lol Good topic. I am going to keep my weightloss plan on the front burner. I will remind myself constantly that the calories consumed during the holidays will still show up on the hips. It's not a free for all.

And I too...will not be baking as normal. Maybe once or twice.

• Great topic!

I'm going to say NO (Thank you) a lot. I'm practicing now when my boss came back from a trip and had chocolate covered pretzels for the office. Agh! No no no!

I'm also going to keep on my walking regiment (luckily I live where the weather never gets too cold). I think I'm also going to add a new healthy tradition to Turkey Day. Maybe a special salad or a game of frisbee on the beach with the dogs.
  • Thanksgiving will not be a problem for me since I will be staying here alone.....yeehaw no stuffed feeling As for Christmas I am going to my parents house but they are healthy eaters so that should not be a problem and I am taking a vacation from work from Dec 21st - Jan 2nd so I shouldn't have the temptation there......boy this looks good in theory let's see if I can make it work!
  • I too will be baking a lot less. I also have the added motivation that dh cannot eat his favorite cookies because of his special diet. I may bake none at all. We are going to bake the nut rolls that I give as gifts. Since he's no longer allowed nuts, we are going to improvise a bit and see how we can do a "nutless" nut roll or two. This is something we do together and I will hate giving it up entirely but probably will if it's too tough on him. I like them too but just can't afford those calories. And no chocolates around the house. This is sounding tough already. Will have to find some great alternatives.
  • We attend at least 8 parties during December--my strategy is to scope out the food and then choose the top 3 things that I most want. I will not eat anything that I can get any other time (chips and salsa, etc). I then take one piece/serving of each of the three things and that's it for me for the night. I don't feel deprived at all and I make it sort of a game!
  • hotflash-
    I have been thinking the same way lately. Why waste calories at a party on stuff you could have any time like chips and salsa? Pick something you normally dont see all the time and indulge, just make it a part of your plan calorie wise and you shouldnt gain! Thats part of my plan now too!

It seems like a lot of us are going to work on the baking. I know most people get cookies from everyone so nobody is going to miss mine! Teachers/neighbors would rather have something else I am sure!
    laura
  • With my In-laws coming the ovens will be working over time!!!
    Pies and goodies galore. I however, will eat my protein like a good girl. I have worked to long and to hard for this to give it up to what I put in my mouth. Five minutes of taste for weeks and weeks of work to make up for it.........I played that sucker game to many years. I finally got it!!!!!!
    Pam
  • Wow Pam!
    I read your post and it inspired me. You are soo right. It's not worth taking so long to get it off! I really struggle with this one and it does sound like "you get it". I am on or off, all or nothing. If I blow it once, I seem to blow it for days. It takes a lot of effort to get back on track. Maybe if I didnt go off to begin with I would be much better off!
    good luck to all of us this season!!
    laura