Primal/Paleo-ish in September

You're on Page 5 of 16
Go to
  • 24 carbs again today....Just can't seem to keep it to 20 but I am eating primally and good stuff. Pesto marinated chicken breasts with cucumbers on the side.

I read somewhere that when your body is processing ketones and fat well, your keto sticks may not show ketones in the urine. The more your body is efficient at burning fat, the better the utilization of ketones and the fewer are left to show up in your urine. So showing purple is not necessarily good. Your body has not fully adapted to using fat as fuel.

Hmmmm.....
  • Sandy,

We have a poster who is a long time maintainer with Atkins. I know her name is Kim but forget her user name. She said once that, if you are drinking lots and lots of water, your urine will be so dilute that ketones don't show.

I had a BAS yesterday for the first time in a long time and really enjoyed it.
  • Thanks SusanB,
    I kinda suspected that as well. I was curious about how you know when your body is producing the right enzymes etc. to burn fat as fuel. That seems to happen to most folks after a month or two, and after the carb flu, if one is to experience that. It would be neat if one could tell for sure. I know my waist is going down by just looking in the mirror. Some of that is reducing bloat as well, I presume.

All in all, this is a great way of reducing. After two weeks when I go back to 50 grams of carbs, I will feel like I am almost "cheating"
  • Yesterday was a great day for me on the challenge. 19.9 grams of carbs, good solid food. Did an exercise class in the morning, and felt good all day.

Today is also starting out well...wish me luck! CJ
  • 27 for me. Are we subtracting fiber?
  • I've done good today too back on track... I was really off yesterday, I was craving carbs all day... Today I'm not hungry or craving ...
  • Quote: 23 for me. Are we subtracting fiber?
    I think we should subtract fiber because otherwise I can't eat an avocado (grin). Yesterday I was up to 52 grams of net carbs, but made good food choices all-in-all. I did have some black beans which pumped up my carbs. Better today.

I'm going to water aerobics class in a few minutes. Will eat when I get back about 10:30 a.m. I'm planning an omelet with sauteed veggies and a little leftover steak from last night.
    ------
    CJ
  • Quote: I've done good today too back on track... I was really off yesterday, I was craving carbs all day... Today I'm not hungry or craving ...

Good for you, Ilene. When I get to 148, and I will, I want you and me to get to 140 together. I need someone to kick my butt as here is where I get into trouble 'cause my clothes start fitting better etc. If you can get to 140 before me, go for it. If not, I'll be pulling in behind soon. We can do it together....

PS. this assumes that your weight listed is accurate and you haven't forgotten to post your losses.
  • I felt great walking this am. Like I could conquer the world if need be. I made foccocia flax bread and it was bland. But I liked the texture and it would be great for little pizza's etc. So....I am going to make some homemade pepperoni, primal sauce and cheese and spices and try one today. Others, who have made this bread, have added savory stuff or sweet stuff to perk up the flavor. I just did the base recipe using raw honey in place of the artificial sweetener. Maybe the honey was not enough flavor or my taste buds are hosed. I can't test taste too much as I cannot spare the carbs. However, the 11gr includes 10 gr of fiber. I really know this to be true. The bowels moved let me tell you TMI.

Update:
    I took 1/3 lb. grass-fed ground beef and put in all the spices like I was making pepperoni, I then added 1/2 can tomato paste and 1/2 can water and simmered until it looked like a pizza sauce consistency. I took a 3 by 3 square of flax bread, halved it horizontally, put a slice of mozzarella on top of each square, added "sauce", sprinkled with Mexican cheese shreds and a pinch of Italian seasonings and broiled on low for 4 minutes. Not bad.... You couldn't really taste the flax bread but it supplied enough of a base to support the rest of the stuff. I ate it with a fork but could've probably picked it up. I am going to continue "perfecting" this until I can use this as a pizza base for real. I love Amy's cornmeal crust pizzas and if I could tweak this enough, I could maybe recreate the taste. The consistency really is close, now the flavor needs to be figured out.
  • Sounds like you are havng fun Sandy! I dont dare try to replace bread or pasta with 'legal' stuff, it would be the start of a very fast spiral down!

I have a wedding to cater on Sunday and the rehearsal lunch on Saturday. plus the pastors birthday tonight, and church Saturday morning, and I wanted to go out to a winery Sat night where some friends are playing....WAY too much planned. Plus I probably should stay away from the winery, they have a Black Forrest Dessert wine that tastes like chocolate and cherries, it is to die for, and I would drink the whole freaking bottle, granted it is a dessert wine, so the bottle and glasses are tiny, but STILL I better stay away from it.

Tonight at the party there are hot wings and BBQ chicken, not going to worry about the sauce, I know there is some honey in the hot wings, but the butter counter acts, right??? Plus we are bringing out 'Tomato Bisque with an Indian Twist" soup...
    Tomorrow is baked potato bar, and Ice Cream Sundae bar for 100. Sunday is Italian Food for 250....can you tell I made these menus before I went primal? LOL OH BOY, but I will be doing lots of lifting heavy things, I will get lots of movement here and there and hope it all goes well. I will NOT be eating the pasta, or potato! that is for sure.

AND just WHEN did a rehearsal dinner have almost HALF of the entire wedding guests invited? I mean really, when I suggested an ice cream sundae bar I was not expecting to scoop 100 scoops of ice cream! dang!

I think 2 sweet potatoes a week or so ago, and the nuts are messing me up, so getting off both of those. See if I can pick it up again

Have a great weekend my little pretties!
  • Quote: Good for you, Ilene. When I get to 148, and I will, I want you and me to get to 140 together. I need someone to kick my butt as here is where I get into trouble 'cause my clothes start fitting better etc. If you can get to 140 before me, go for it. If not, I'll be pulling in behind soon. We can do it together....

PS. this assumes that your weight listed is accurate and you haven't forgotten to post your losses.
    You assume the weight is wrong, but in the opposite direction you are thinking of I'm at 155 as of this morning... I can't remember when that 148 was... I'll go change that number right now... But Sparky, we can definitely together

Had another great day... Did not exercise though, it's Friday and I rarely exercise on Friday... Tomorrow is housework day and I'm supposed to run at 3pm also...
  • MikkiJoe,

I am having fun but I am also frustrated and anxious to get it right or get it close. I just found a pizza recipe made from 2 cups mozzarella cheese, 2 Tbsp coconut flour, 1 ts baking soda, 2 eggs, 2 Tbsp flax meal. Mix all together and knead with greased hands. Spread to 1/4" thick on parchment lined pizza pan. Bake at 350* for 15 minutes, flip to other side and bake another 15 minutes. Cool and then top with cooked veggies, meats, cheese etc and then place under broiler until cheese is bubbly.

This will be next up tomorrow.....

Ilene... I need to lift heavy things but I just cannot stand the thought of weight gain even though I know it is good weight. I cannot take it psychologically. You work out so hard so I am sure you look great compared to flabby me. I will be at 155 about Sept. 25 if things do not slow down.

Let us pray......

Forgot to post - managed 19 gr carbs today.
  • Sparky , lifting is my favourite thing for years I only did weights but a very good friend got me into running so now I have two favourites ... which is good we need a good balance of both... I also love Yoga but don't get a chance to do it often...

Brown , I agree Chineese food is the worse... Eat before going? Some protein, then have your veggies at the restaurant...
  • I made cauliflower pizza crust and breadsticks yesterday.
    I had smoked salmon on one for breakfast today with a few red onions cream cheese and feta spread. I cannot stomach the flax bread with the egg it is too rich for me.

I feel 5 more lbs lighter and am almost down 1 pants size.
  • 127 lbs this morning my darlings! I'm so excited I could sing!
    I'm thinkin' it's a Godsmack I lifted and did cardio yesterday. What's that you're saying? I was actually supposed to be doing that along with eating primally all along? I'm such a slow learner sometimes.

I picked up some smallish chicken breasts last week and shoved then in the freezer. Yesterday kinda got messed up because I got called to work for 4 hours in the middle of the day. Then something came up and we had to rush out the door shortly after DH got home for dinner. So I fried the chicken in bacon grease. Broccoli with butter. It was lovely! and very quick.
    I think I meant to do the chicken in curry when I bought it. I guess I'll do that with the other package.