new and not sure...

• I am a division 1 college athlete...I play softball and have always been a bigger girl. I want to lose weight for both athletic and asthetic reasons. Athletically I feel I will better be able to complete my conditioning and increase my speed if I drop a few pounds in these thunder thighs I have. I am quite muscular as I am the strongest lifter on my team by far so muscle is not an issue. I really just want to lose the pillowtop on top of my firm mattress (thats how I like to describe my body these days). I currently weigh just over 250...I am almost 6' tall. I read that the healthy weight range for someone my height is between 140-180, but I think 180 would be too skinny for me...and with my athletic build, very well may be impossible. I don't want to lose too much weight as I need it to hit homeruns () but I have no clue what my goal weight should really be!!!

I haven't ever really pursued weight loss seriously except for the bit of SBD I did with my family while in HS...my mother and I started WW on Monday. She is a repeat user and thought it would be easier for me to count points than anything else haha! I have a friend at school who is going to be my WW partner when my summer at home is over (so grateful for that!)...

I am active. I workout at least 5 times a week while I am at home for the summer (as I have an impending fitness test waiting for me when I return to school) and often more than that when I am at school and in season. Our conditioning and lifting is high intensity and practice is as high intensity as our coaches can make it I guess!

Anyone with any insight as to what a good athletic weight would be for me, not too small, and not to big to compete in a sport played at a very high level. I have thought about just going for what my body looks like and what sizes I am wearing instead because I think my muscle concentration may throw my scale number off a bit ( I don't think I look like I'm 250 now)...please help!!
  • I have no clue what you should have your goal weight set at but wanted to welcome you to the forums and wish you good luck with your goals.
  • Welcome, Since you are an athlete your muscle is going to tip the scale higher so you will always weigh more than you look, but I don't see any reason why you can't lose the 'pillow top'. {cute idea, I'll have to steal that} I think 210 is a good starting goal weight to aim for, you can always change it after you get to 210 and see what you think, then stop, maintain, or keep going.

I suggest you look for a Support Group or Challenge to join {maybe in the WW forum since you are already doing WW}; a small group of friends to help keep you motivated, find one that inspires you or fits your needs, and just post to join.
  • Thank you both! I'm definitely going to need some sort of accountability partner to keep me on the elusive "wagon" hahaha!