garlic
    paprika
    crushed red pepper
    cayenne pepper
    cinnamon
    marjoram
    ginger
  • What I really bought
    I didn't get every thing on my list and I got a few things (ricotta cheese and canteloupe) that don't show up in the recipes. I also don'g have much of a spice rack and what I have is years old.

I just bought my first ever real parmesan cheese chunk. It DOES taste better then the powder in a can and I think you use less since it is hard work to shave a whole ounce off.

I bought 10 boxes of whole wheat pasta-more then a years supply, for $1 a box. Safeway usually has them for $2-3. I bought too much laughing cow cheese-it's really for later and then is a snack.

I bought frozen chicken breasts for $1.79 a pound and monkfish for $18 a pound.HUH Still I paid 8.45 for the fish and got at least two probably 3 servings.

I also bought Wheat thins(what an oxymoron name)Fiber selects 5grain crackers. 13 crackers=120cal with 5g fiber. But crackers portions can be deadly to me.

Anyway- My fridge is full my pantry is much better-now I need to get cooking.
  • what I cooked
    I made a whole wheat spaghetti with portabello mushrooms and ground turkey.
    Hard to decide what to use for a portion size. It fit on the plate-thats all I'm sayin'

I had shrimp the other night- seafood allows a larger portion for the calories involved. When you don't drown things in tartar sauce the calories are under 250 for the full dinner.
  • Hi 2Bees, it sounds like you're off to a great start!

I agree, the Sonoma portions are subjective. I've addressed this by following another diet's portion sizes (the ADA diet, I think) and got a good feel for how that looks on the plate. I'd measure every meal for a few days/weeks, and then I'd eyeball it after, going back to measuring every now and then just to make sure portions don't get inflated.

A note on spices/herbs - old ones, just use a little more (if they're dried). They don't tend to go bad, in my experience, just lose a little potency. I also mix my own spice blends (lemon-pepper, italian, etc) following internet recipes. Have you ever grown an herb garden? I've started one this year, but haven't gotten into the habit of picking them regularly yet.