Staying Primal in June!!!

You're on Page 4 of 17
Go to
  • I found this kale chips recipe, and thought you guys might like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTXXGDISnOg
  • Quote: I do eat the bones in salmon, I mash them... I also eat the sardine bones...
    I used to pick the bones out of canned fish, even sardines (because my mom and grandma always did). I didn't even know they were edible, and thought it was weird that they weren't removed before canning.

Then I read an article in a woman's magazine about sources of calcium other than dairy, and it recommended eating canned fish bones, and I thought I'd give it a try (and have been eating them ever since).

Sardine bones I don't even really notice, salmon bones though I have to mash or they have a chalky texture I don't like. Mashed in they seem to disappear. Although I don't eat fried whole fish very often, when I do, I eat the crispy tails and fins, a habit I picked up from my dad and grandpa, (one mom and grandma scolded them for passing along to me). I also eat shrimp shells and tails, if they've been cooked so that they're brittile enough to chew).

You can also add whole raw eggs in the shells (wash them first) to soups while the soup is cooking to add calcium to the broth (you then fish out the eggs, rinse them and peel them to eat and use in any recipe that calls for boiled eggs.

I did this a couple weeks ago. I boiled eggs in chicken broth and added a bit of chicken bouillon powder to the water.

When I was done, I saved and froze the "broth" to use in soup.

I may be imagining things, but it seems that some of the flavor from the broth seeps into the eggs as well. They'd absorb more flavor if I made them like "tea eggs" (a chinese way to make flavored eggs).

There are several ways to make tea eggs, and there are many recipes online. Add tea leaves or tea bags, soy sauce and other seasonings (like five spice powder) to water. Add raw eggs and brig the liquid to a simmer. Simmer the eggs for about 20 minutes. Then you fish out the eggs (because you're going to return them to the broth). You tap the shells to crack them (with a spoon, or wrap them in a clean cloth and roll on the counter gently).

You return them to the broth, and reduce the heat just below simmer (the pot should still be a little steamy, but there's little to no bubbling), and leave on the stove for a couple hours (different recipes call for different steeping times, anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours.

The longer you simmer them, the more flavor they absorb. You can increase the flavor further by letting the eggs cool in the tea broth, and when the pot is cool you put the pot and the liquid into the fridge and let them sit overnight.

They're absolutely beautiful when peeled (you can do the same with beet juice, but I don't know if there's much if any flavor change). They look like eggs carved out of marble.

If you want them to peel nicely, you need to use eggs that are a little older. I bought eggs yesterday, and I bought an extra dozen to use for for boiled eggs in 10 days or so.
  • I'm not a huge fan of the "tea eggs" but I used to live in HongKong and Taiwan and they were much stranger renditions over there so I think that is why! LOL!

Very primal over in my house lately! Not much new to report, although I am finding myself biting my tongue a lot around friends who don't want to understand why I eat this way. It can get very annoying especcially when they call the way I eat weird, yep, its weird these days to eat meats, veggies, berries, and nuts, send me to the looney bin!
  • If you folks haven't tried meatza yet, you should! It is sooo good. My Dh actually asked for it today!
  • kaplods, thanks for all that info. You've given me a great idea for bacon infused hard boiled eggs.

Same here Kara, same here. I lose 27 pounds eating like a king, lower my blood pressure and my blood sugar and all I get is grief about this diet. They talk behind my back now because they don't like how well armed I am to defend myself. I have three obese sisters who I believe all need low carb, no grain diets, but there is really no talking to any of them.

I will definitely try a meatza, Susan. It's been on my list for awhile.
  • I'm going to make the meatza, next time I have a pizza craving.

I made the almond meal pizza crust (I made half a batch 1 cup almond meal, 1 egg, 1 t oil, and 1 t salt - and I added 1 T of flax seed).

It was pretty good hot, but even better cold, much better. To the point that I would have to say, if I make it again, I'll put it in the fridge over night and eat it cold (or see if it's just as good reheated the next day).

The meatza sounds like a better plan when I want HOT pizza.
  • Quote: If you folks haven't tried meatza yet, you should! It is sooo good. My Dh actually asked for it today!
    What is meatza? I can guess ... a pizza made with meat, right???? How can I make one too!! CJ
  • Meatza
  • Quote: Same here Kara, same here. I lose 27 pounds eating like a king, lower my blood pressure and my blood sugar and all I get is grief about this diet. They talk behind my back now because they don't like how well armed I am to defend myself. I have three obese sisters who I believe all need low carb, no grain diets, but there is really no talking to any of them.
    That sort of (lack of ) reason flying in the face of reality always reminds me of this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY

• Quote: That sort of (lack of ) reason flying in the face of reality always reminds me of this clip:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbVKWCpNFhY

• Quote: Meatza
    Thanks BibBob! I guess I shall just have to try "meatza". Susan -- what kind of toppings did you put on yours???
    Also -- yay I lost another pound!

It always seems like when I eat a very light (or no) dinner that I lose weight, even though the calories are exactly the same for the day. This doesn't really make sense to me, but it seems to be true. Last night I had 2 organic turkey hotdogs, some fermented sauerkraut (always working on that gut flora!) and a serving of veal pate. Total about 240 calories.

But -- for the day -- I didn't eat any fewer calories.

Is eating a light or nonexistent dinner a "real" strategy to shed weight, or am I just imagining it? Even though the day's calories aren't any less. I like to eat dinner . But maybe I'll try a "mini" intermittent fast by just skipping dinner once a week or something like that. Thoughts? I'm not willing to do a lengthy fast. I don't like to skip dinner but that seems to be the one thing that cuts weight on me.

Re: the dairy discussion. I like yogurt and cottage cheese. I eat either Fage Greek yogurt or Stonyfield whole milk organic yogurt. OMG, I love the "cream top" on that Stonyfield yogurt (I do like fat). It would be tough for me to get along with these "staples".
  • Hi everyone! I don't post much because I'm can't seem to do the primal eating consistently ....YET! I'm more and more convinced that this is the way I want to eat for life and reading all of your posts (which I do daily) has been so inspiring and informative. So I just wanted to say "hi" and thank you for the recipes (I love to cook). I"m growing kale in my garden so the Kale chips will be soon and the meatza will be on the menu tonight.

Good luck to you all and keep up all the good work you are doing!
  • I've come across a kind of interesting paleo/primal site called Paleo Hacks - http://paleohacks.com/faq.

Basically, anyone can ask a question about the primal lifestyle, and others answer it and post links to support their answers. Then people "vote" on how well the question is answered.

Just something I thought might be of interest.

Also, "Modern Paleo" is a blog that has sort of a master-list of paleo bloggers. Every week, she has a round-up of what she sees as the bloggers best posts/questions. Here is this week's link. Even more bloggers are shown in this link.

The last link goes on for some pages. This can get a little overwhelming, but it's a nice compilation for those compelled to read about this lifestyle (like me!)
  • Thanks CJ, great links!

I'm making those kale chips today! They look so good.

I finally saw Food Inc. the other day, not sure what took me so long, but I noticed it was on Netflix via Wii and was glad I watched it. Of course since going Primal I already try to get everything as natural as possible but budget doesn't always allow, I have made the decision to start getting everything from a local CSA here and I will just buy less and eat less to make it go further, but at least it will be of high quality.

Bob: I'm also trying to find a few people to share a steer with, most of my friends don't want to understand why its best to get their meat this way, they are happy with ground beef in the store that is a mix of hundreds of different cows from who knows where. I really think its pure laziness that makes people choose not to educate themselves on their food sources as well as the whole not knowing is bliss thing, like if they don't know then they can pretend its not happening.

I'm hoping my parents will agree for a share, we'll see. My mom gets deer every season, so maybe I'll convince her.
  • Kara -- good job using a CSA. I used to grow for one, but out here in the desert there just isn't one. I really need to figure a way back to civilization. How primal is that? Good luck cow pooling. Getting others to watch Food Inc. will surely help.

CJ -- Thanks for the links. I have a couple blogs -- one is business, the other is personal. I have been thinking the paleo blog world could use something like Modern Paleo (a huge link reference); so thanks for that. I debate every day if I want to blog my weight loss. For me it is the best way to get this information in front of 20-30 folks I count as loved ones who simply won't take the time to read on their own. So if *I* -- brother, uncle, in law, friend -- started posting the information, then they would read what I was up to. I hate the time commitment, but it would help keep me focused and NOT YO YO. It would serve the same accountability purpose as 3FC, but even moreso because those closest to me would be following.

In regards to eating very light or not at all at night, I think that supports intermittent fasting theory. We all fast when we get decent sleep. Well, I guess I have been known to eat in my sleep, but that's another story. Breakfast means break fast. So by having a light dinner or skipping it you are extending your daily fast. I am an evening eater, so that doesn't work for me, but if it works for you, it's a great way to let your low carb system IF.

I'm reading a lot about extended and intermittent fasting these days because of my primal winter program. For some reason reading about the benefits makes the process easy. I had no issues skipping food yesterday other than going to bed dreaming about wrapping sausage in bacon, topping it with an over easy egg and a slice of cheddar then sliding it between two pork chops instead of bread in a breakfast sandwich. Then I woke up and wasn't hungry at all. I'm going to wash the cars and garden until I am truly hungry because 36 hours into this fast, I have no hunger. Just like last time.