Yet Another Abs Question

• I really need to work on my abs. I have had lower back and neck surgery in the past and have arthritis.

I want to find some good exercises that are safe to do. My back/neck easily strains and I can't afford to take that chance. When doing crunches, bicycles, etc. I tend to tense up my neck and I can't seem to train myself out of that habit. Thus, I haven't been doing ab work.

I do have one of these...

http://shop.bodybuildingforyou.com/ASOT/ab-slider.htm

...and seem to be able to feel some good going on when I make myself do it. Reviews online are mixed.

Does anyone have any safe ab exercises that I might try? I'm searching online, too. THANKS!!
  • Hi Annie,

First of all, I have to stress that I am no expert.
    But, I know from reading that crunches are not the most effective exercises.
    I have lower back issue myself but I am not sure if what's "safe" for me would be also "safe" for you. But I know what you mean about tensing up your neck - in the past, I always found out that, after a core class, my neck was a lot more sore than my abs! then it somehow went away - I guess I learned to do them better but I don't know how (so I can't explain). My neck is not sore any more.

I recently found out that after a hefty cardio session I can do ab exercises that normally I cannot do (or that seem to tax my lower back). I have P90X and I have to say that I love the Ab Ripper DVD from the P90X set. By the way, you can buy it online, from eBay, as an individual DVD (no need to buy the entire P90X set). The DVD is only about 16 minutes but believe, you will work hard the entire time.
    Perhaps you can invest into the DVD and determine by trial end error which ones are safe for you and which are not. Like I said, I am not an expert but these are my 2 cents.
  • Might try checking out some standing ab work. I have a lower back *issue* and find the standing exercises a little more comfortable.

Here's a video demo of a few:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGRjfYXqyVE

Simple standing Knee Ups are effective as well.
  • If you have access to a pool go to the corner and rest your elbows on the sides and do leg raises so the tips of your toes just break the water. I'm not sure how the weight on you shoulders will effect your back/neck though but hopefully the water should take off alot if pressure.
  • Oh, I like Slimmings suggestion! I actually find that quite relaxing.
  • Thanks to you all for your replies! To emphasize how weak my back is, I really strained it this weekend while doing light yard work. I stayed bent over for too long at a time. I took it easy and it feels better now.

I will check out some of your ideas and also check into some lower back strengthing moves.
  • Quote: Might try checking out some standing ab work. I have a lower back *issue* and find the standing exercises a little more comfortable.

Here's a video demo of a few:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGRjfYXqyVE

Simple standing Knee Ups are effective as well.

I really like the look of this, I think I will try it later today! Wow, the instructor sure is fit and has great stability!!