What kinds of cereals do you like?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • In my diet it says to eat Kashi Go Lean cereal. It supposedly has the right amount of fibre and protein and not too much sugar or calories. But I find it tastes like cardboard....yuck!

So I found the toasted berry one tastes better. But it has more sugar than the other one. I saw one on tv - Kellogs one - which is fat free but has quite a bit of sugar but no protein So, I was hoping to get some ideas for some cereals from you guys! What kinds do you eat?
  • I rarely eat cereal for breakfast but when I do I eat hot cereal - steel cut oats, Bobs RedMill 5 grain, or oatmeal. Muesli soaked overnight in almond milk of yogurt makes a good cold breakfast. I like to mix a handful of blueberries in.
  • I don't like cold cereal either.

I like hot whole grains.....oatmeal, brown rice with milk, quinoa, that sort of thing.

Kashi puffed cereal wouldn't even fill me up for long anyway.

Dawn
  • I used to be fond of raisin bran.

I've had the Kashi -- goes better with a sliced banana.

My kid is into Cheerios and Honey Nut Cheerio types. Sometimes it is actual General Mills Cheerios, other times it is organic brands of same O shape oat based cereal.

But I've been trying to not have it so much and go with actual oatmeal if I am going to do cereals for breakfast.

A.
  • Quaker corn bran squares (really yummmmy and healthy)

Kashi cinnamon havest or almond honey flax ... yummy!

Your best bet, and the guidelines we're "supposed" live by for a healthy cereal, is over 5grams of fibre and under 5-6 grams of sugar.

Fiber one is good too but lots of sugar. Even if you do half of the GoLean and half of a serving of another cereal you like might be easier for you to enjoy!
  • I do occasionally have the puffed kashi that tastes like cardboard, but instead of using milk, I use Fage Greek style yogurt (0% fat and I think 90 calories) and I add one packet of Splenda (but you could use Stevia instead) and cinnamon. It tastes very decadent! Otherwise I avoid cereal because it tends to be a binge trigger for me.
  • I would have to go off plan to eat my favorite: honey-nut instant oatmeal.

Sharon

• Either Special K varieties, Honey Nut Chex or just plain Cheerios.

I also get Banana Nut or Honey Nut Cheerios everyone once in awhile. (Although, I have to admit, my favorite cereal of all time is Cinnamon Toast Crunch, but I never get it anymore due to the sugar!)
  • I like raw oatmeal with fresh fruit and some raw almonds. Topped with almond milk. Mmmmmmmm.
  • Wheat and Multi-bran Chex sprinkled with some Splenda. It's good because I can't eat too much of it because otherwise my jaw starts to hurt with all that crunching.
  • I've been eating a mix of Cinnamon Honey Bunches of Oats and Corn Chex. I usually eat a choc Fiber bar as a snack later in the day so I'm more concerned with suger and calories, LOL, and taste.
  • Special K Protein Plus with added cinnamon.
  • Right now I'm eating the plain, original Fiber One (which my husband says looks like goat food) mixed with Kix cereal. I also considered multi-grain Cheerios, but went with the Kix for volume reasons...1/2 cup of the Fiber One is 60 calories, and a serving of the Kix (1.25 cups) is 110. It bulks up the cereal and I feel like I've had more, even though there's not that much MORE of the Kix when you really look at it or weigh it.
  • I just finished a bowl of Bear Naked Cranberry raisin cereal. It's a bit pricey but it was on sale and I found some that had $1 coupon on them! For 2/3 c.-fat 4.5, fiber 4g, protein 5g. I added some slivered almonds and half a banana, skim milk.
    I also like the Health Valley cereals, found some at Aldis' for under $3 a box.
    Over all I'd rather have a bowl of oatmeal. I 'fix' it up-banana/ nat. pnut butter, blueberries or other fruits/walnuts, apple/raisin/walnuts, I add a dash of cinnamon, no sugars.
  • The only breakfast cereal I eat these days is steel-cut oatmeal. I stir in some ground flax or wheat germ, maybe some sesame seeds or almonds, a handful of berries, and milk. Yum!

I usually cook enough of it at a time so I can reheat individual servings.