Low carb snacks?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi everyone!

Question...what does everyone eat as low-carb snacks? I have been eating fruit but I am getting bored. Brand names would be great too if you have any favorites.

Thanks!

Mauvaisroux
  • Snacks? White Rabbit Candies? Dim Sum?

If you look in the LC Recipe Section there is a salsa recipe in "Side Dishes" and Homemade Protein Bars in "Miscellaneous." Low carbers also often munch on pork rinds, cream cheese on celery, cheese and meat rollups, etc. I must read up on Somercizing so I can answer this type of question better. I do know there are some food combos not allowed and other rules.
  • Better choices
    Really fruit is not a good choice for low carb, as most fruits have alot of sugars. I like to snack on chunks of cheese, deviled eggs, pepperoni and cream cheese, and of course those porkrinds when ya gotta have a crunchy snack! Good luck
  • Thanks Ruthxxx and Virginia Chickie!
  • I tend to munch on peparami sticks, cheese, carrotts etc ohh i love eggs to but it just gets boaring after a while
  • I like to snack on the Carb Solutions bars. The Choc. Peanut Butter are good. You can buy them at Walmart. They are best when eaten cold. The other flavers are good too!
  • Thanks for the tip ohwilson! We have a Walmart nearby so I will check out those bars.
  • I can't figure out the carb solution bars......the carb count seems way high but then the "usuable" carb is like 2.o gms......any one here can explain this to me
  • Tigerliley, I nearly missed this. Perhaps post on a seperate thread next time.
    Useable carbs is the carb count less the fiber count. You just need to count the useable carbs when tallying up. Fiber carbs do not count in other words. Sometimes this is referred to as Net CArbs. I'll try to pull up a thread in this section.

Found it! see SueBee's post re confused about carbs
  • Turkey pepperoni in the nuker until crunchy mmmmmmmmmm !
  • cottage cheese, slim jims, string cheese, macademnian nuts, beef slices with cream cheese, those precooked italian chicken strips
  • Thanks!
    I just wanted to say thanks for this post. I have friends coming in unexpectedly for the weekend and they are low-carbing it. The husband in particular is a grazer. I really want to be supportive but I wasnt' sure what kind of snacks to put on the shelves. This is perfect . . . I'll add the nuts and pepperoni to what I already have on hand.

Thanks!
  • I really like the new 3 net carb Slim Fast peanut butter bars. The low carb ice cream, especially Skinny Cow's is great, too.
  • Ok, I'm compelled to do my little public service announcement here:

Be careful trusting the 'net carb' label on the front of packages. Many manufacturers count "net carbs" as Total Carb - Fiber - Sugar Alcohols. They say they do this because sugar alcohols do not impact blood sugar levels.

First - that is not true for everyone. Sugar alcohols do cause blood sugar spikes in some people.

Second - These are still carbs that your body digests and absorbs. In my mind, at least, that means they count. I'm doing this to lose weight, not stabilize my blood sugar. This is why things sweetened with sugar alcohols are notorious for causing stalls.

SO, when you see things that say 2 carbs for a candy bar or 4 carbs for ice cream, take a good look at the nutritional information and ingredient list. The real number is probably much higher. This is why things sweetened with sugar alcohols are notorious for causing stalls. You may think you're only eating 3 carbs when the reality is more like 23.

Just my 2 cents.

For more on sugar alcohols, there's a great article here (look for the post called All About Sugar Alcohols: http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37873
  • I'm not sure if the sugar alcohols affect me (except in a laxative effect ), but I still count it.