Old 02-11-2009, 09:48 AM   #1  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Height: 5'7"

Default Low Carb Snacks?

My doctor told me that my goals were 1600 calories and 200 carbs or less. Well I am finding it very difficult to get close to that amount of calories and keep the carbs low.

If I am good on carbs I will be at like 1000-1200 calories and if I get up to over 1400 it seems I am also over the carbs eek lol.

I am getting better but it is hard to change and I don't really have any ideas.

I looked around some and found stuff like nuts, cheese, eggs. The nuts are great but easy to over eat for sure lol and even adding them it only helps so much ya know?

So does anyone have any ideas or tips? Doesn't just have to be snack ideas either. Thanks much!

Here is my food tracker btw:
http://www.sparkpeople.com/mypage_tr...37;2F11%2F2009
(it is only showing today because I had to reset it to fix a problem boo lol)

Last edited by moonkissed; 02-11-2009 at 09:50 AM. Reason: added food tracker
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/270/150

Height: 5'6"

Well I am not the best person to ask because I have a similar problem I love carbs. I am also mostly vegetarian so I find it hard to get in the protein and have actually started eating a bit of turkey and fish.

I don't know if you like fish, but a Kipper is quite low cal and pretty filling. I'll sometimes have that for a snack in the after noon.

If my blood sugar seems high on a particular day I'll have a couple of turkey sausages.

I drink Swiss-Miss sugar free cocoa which only has maybe 7 C.

My usual afternoon snack is popcorn or rice crackers.

Hummus and veggies.

I don't know if this is a problem for you but I find if I eat fruit for a snack I'm quite hungry just a little while later. My diabetes doc said to eat fruit with meals for a snack it's causes too much of a sugar spike. Might be something to try.

You can also cut back your rice or pasta servings and eat more of what goes with it. Veggies, meat etc.
kodama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

I really like turkey pepperettes made by Schneiders at 50 Calories each (I eat two); or I also will eat a slice of Kraft Cheese; or a cube of cheddar; or a hard-boiled egg; or a rice cake with peanut butter; or as handful of almonds (100 gram bag from the baking section for a weekly treat).

Other times, I may have leftover lean cooked meat like steak or a pork chop; celery boats with lite cheese in them; a salad with some cooked meat or cheese; a cup-a-soup (90 cals or less); sugar-free yogurt; sugar-free jello; a quick omelette with veggies; or 1/2 cup baked beans; or ... as a last resort ~ a bran wheat slice of bread with peanut butter. I can save room for this by eating less bread earlier in the day (ie having leftovers or soup for lunch, and save the bread for a snack).

I also have a MOCHA-COFFEE, which is just a regular coffee with sweetener plus a small tsp of COCOA POWDER added to it (as we don't have the sugarless cocoa mix available here).

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 02-16-2009 at 08:46 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:48 PM   #4  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Lots and lots of low carb vegetables are the trick and, at this time of year, especially, lots of soup made from them.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #5  

I like to mix sugar free jello with a couple spoons of cottage cheese and some cool whip free. It's very good! Add in some raspberries-yum!

string cheese
pecans
olives and pickles
sliced deli meat
deviled eggs
veggies and dill dip
salsa and carrots
pumpkin with splenda/cinnamon and whipping cream
Idealperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:29 PM   #6  
Love Thyself

S/C/G: 231/199/165

Thanks everyone for the tips! I think I am doing a bit better adding more variety and much more protein helps.
moonkissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:15 PM   #7  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

I eat:

boiled eggs, mostly the whites--either 1 or less then one carb per egg
Kroger Carb Master Yogurt 80 calories and 3 net carbs
sugar free jello--I binge on this, woopsie...
blackberries

Im kind of in your situation. Im also a vegetarien, so I cant have meat, and cant have lots of carbs, and cant have lots of fat or calories. So what I can eat is very limited and it has taken a lot of research online for me to find foods that are low carb. Alot of reading and searching for recipes and snack ideas. I still need help.....it gets overwhelming at times, but I am still learning pretty much every day and getting new ideas to add to the few I have already. Family members sometimes get sick of hearing me say "i cant eat that".....I am sure. But hey, this is for me.............and besides "I DONT EAT THAT STUFF ANYMORE"!!!!!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:38 PM   #8  

I know how you feel trying to stick to a low carbohydrate diet, I also have diabetes and take two injections daily. One thing that I learned to do is take my time grocery shopping and read all the labels and see what has the lowest carbs that interests me. For a snack I have rice crackers, fat free cheese and turkey pepperetes and that seems to satisfy my cravings. The no sugar added jello puddings are also a nice treat and low in carbs, also the skinny cow ice cream is made with splenda and low in carbs also. I have found a low carb grocery store online that has great food items and the prices are reasonable and the shipping is free depending on how much you spend.
Good luck
timetoshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 207/200/135

Height: 5'8

My sister went vegetarian a few years ago and it took me awhile to realize why she'd never partake in the family Jello night. Even the sugar free stuff has gelatin in it which is most definitely not vegetarian friendly. I can't eat it anymore now that I know about that

I usually eat a whole, peeled carrot. Celery with natural peanut butter is a good one too. I also enjoy having lunchmeat rollups. I get some sliced deli meat from the counter in the supermarket and roll them up with cheese or lettuce.

Usually, I just try to have a piece of fruit though. I am currently on 5 injections a day *grumble* but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Casandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #10  

Height: 5'4"

Reduced fat Triscuits with a wedge of Laughing Cow Light Cheese
Light string cheese
Fiber One Bars
Carrots and low fat ranch dressing
Fage 0% Greek Yogurt with sugar free jam (WAY high in protein)
Any type of reduced fat cracker (Triscuits, Wheat Thins Multi Grain) and lots of salsa
witchyonadiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:11 PM   #11  

Another great low fat snack is rice crackers with low fat cheese and turkey bites
I also love tostitos baked taco chips with salsa and some low fat cheese melted in the microwave. All of these snacks fall under the Weight Watchers guide. I also like triscuts with tuna and some low fat cheese microwave for a tuna melt.

Take Care

Last edited by timetoshrink; 03-04-2009 at 11:11 PM.
timetoshrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:54 AM   #12  
Trying so hard....

Default Vegan Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casandra View Post
My sister went vegetarian a few years ago and it took me awhile to realize why she'd never partake in the family Jello night. Even the sugar free stuff has gelatin in it which is most definitely not vegetarian friendly. I can't eat it anymore now that I know about that

I usually eat a whole, peeled carrot. Celery with natural peanut butter is a good one too. I also enjoy having lunchmeat rollups. I get some sliced deli meat from the counter in the supermarket and roll them up with cheese or lettuce.

Usually, I just try to have a piece of fruit though. I am currently on 5 injections a day *grumble* but you gotta do what you gotta do.
Hey, I heard that some types of jello already made is vegan. I think Hunts like from walmart is vegan, also I have heard Del Monte is as well. The Hunts kind comes in like a 4 pack, over in the section with the pudding and jello mixes. Its already made, in ready to eat little cups. Maybe your sister can eat some of this time to time.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #13  
Trying so hard....

I just bought some Soynuts. They are 110 calories and 5 grams of fat per serving and has like only 5 carbs I think. They're actually not bad....taste kind of like a peanut. I suggest getting salted ones.