Increase in Metabolic Rate During TOM?

• So it's that lovely TOM and I'm a bit discouraged about my rate of weight loss. I was humming along just fine and now I've hit a wall -- I've been gaining and losing the same two pounds for about three days now. I know it's water weight, but it's still disheartening all the same.

I know I should stay away from the scale, and I will, but I've always been curious about something I once heard about one's metabolic rate increasing during the days leading up to TOM. I certainly feel my hungriest about four days before the curse sets in--in fact, I eat about 300 more calories than usual--and it would make me feel better to know that my body is burning off those extra calories as it prepares for TOM's visit. The brief stall on the scale wouldn't scare me half as much if I knew it really was just water and not that extra handful of peanuts I ate.

Has anyone else heard of this phenomenon? I've done a bit of research on the internet, but opinions seem to vary. It would indeed be fantastic if it were true!
  • I've read up about it. I've read that we burn 300 more calories per day, so if you can power through those cravings, you could use it to your advantage. I think this may explain the "whoosh" so many women experience. It seems to be true for me, but my whoosh seems really delayed! It's a good week after TOM that I start seeing any progress again.
  • I had a trainer tell me this as well. He said not to schedule my metabolic rate testing during TOM bc my metabolism would be naturally elevated. Not sure by how much or for how long tho.
  • Quote: I've read that we burn 300 more calories per day,
    I'd read that it was 300 calories in total, I much prefer what you read.
  • I wondered about this too. Makes sense though that more calories are used by the body. Thanks for the info!