OT - Back from free clinic

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I am back from clinic and a bit disheartened. The "doctor" mashed around on the lump, pronounced it as lipoma, very rudely informed me that it would be considered cosmetic surgery to have it removed and sent me on my way :|
    I would think they would need to do some tests or something to determine what it is but I guess I was wrong :|

Anyway, I am glad it is nothing serious, just wish the guy had not been so..crass.
  • VERY HAPPY that it turned out to be nothing serious.

I would not worry that you needed additional testing-- I've seen lots of lipomas and they're pretty easy to recognize. You can almost always count on doctors to overtest-- if a test isn't done, it's because they feel confident in the diagnosis, and that's a good thing!!

SORRY that the doc didn't make you feel more cared for. :-(

But happy that it's a benign condition. Plus, I've seen them disappear.
  • So glad everything checked out better than expected!

So sorry the doc had to be a poop head! Maybe he had a bad morning and he isn't like this all the time...still doesn't excuse the nasty behavior! Sorry you had to endure his rath!
  • Thanks Cathy
  • Don't you just hate it when you screw up the courage to go to the doctor & end up walking out feeling worse than when you went it I'm sorry your experience was so crummy! Of course, thankful it's benign.

I've read that people with fibromyalgia tend to have more lipomas than other people. Don't know if that applies to you, or not.
  • I am sorry that the doctor was so crass but glad that it is a lipoma. DH has had two and both times it was diagnosed without tests. He was told both times, at first, that it was considered cosmetic surgery so insurance would not cover removal. Then later, after they got larger, removal was not considered cosmetic surgery and he had them removed. I thought that was so stupid. Why not be able to remove them while they were small and easier to remove?
  • Thanks Cheryl and I agree 150%
  • Whew! At least now you don't have to worry about it any more.
  • Quote: I am sorry that the doctor was so crass but glad that it is a lipoma. DH has had two and both times it was diagnosed without tests. He was told both times, at first, that it was considered cosmetic surgery so insurance would not cover removal. Then later, after they got larger, removal was not considered cosmetic surgery and he had them removed. I thought that was so stupid. Why not be able to remove them while they were small and easier to remove?
    My DH had a similar experience. His were near his wrist and forearm and they were starting to cause pinched nerves, so insurance covered it once that happened. Keep on top of any symptoms it causes (shoulder/back pain, whatever) and it may not be considered cosmetic forever.
  • Last year I had pneumonia and went to my family dr. She told me if I didn't start to feel better or felt much worse to go the ER. I went to the ER and the Dr. there told me "I don't know what you want ME to do for you" He went on to tell me I was sick but nothing more he could do about it but it made me feel like s**t. He had -0- bedside manner. Some Drs. shouldn't be working with people.

I am glad your lump isn't something terrible but the Dr. could have been just a bit nicer!
  • Thanks everyone
  • I am so glad that you found a clinic to go to and that it turned out to be something minor. I am sorry about the doc though. At least now you know of a free clinic close enough to you and they should have a file on you now, so if you have some more serious medical issue you won't have to go through the hunt process again.
  • Thanks Roxy
  • phew, that's a relief!! Too bad the doc was a jerk but the news is great!