Hot Cocoa (Swiss Miss Diet) help needed

• Hello friends,

I think I have a hot cocoa problem! I bought the Swiss Miss diet one that is only 25 calories. I followed the directions exactly. I added in 6 oz. of hot (not boiling) water very slowly and I tried to stir it very thoroughly, but no matter what I do, there are always lumps and bumps that really gross me out. I can tell the flavor is very good and I don't drink this all the time, but sometimes, when a chocolate craving hits, it helps me to have this as a treat. Maybe that's just the price I pay for the fewer calories? Or, maybe there's a better brand out there that someone can suggest? I can't be the only one who has experienced this can I? Any advice would be much appreciated!
  • I drink that. I always put the water in first and then empty the package in. At least all the lumps are on top that way, and I can see them!
  • I use a whisk. Makes a huge difference for me in terms of stirring. Specifically, I use this little guy, who I've named Eggie.

• I usually add a little of the hot water first (1/4 cup or so) just enough to blend the mix and water together (wisk with a fork) then add the rest of the water, stir, and voila, hot cocoa without lumps.
  • Amanda -- That's an adorable whisk! And a great idea!
  • luckymommy - It's not just you! I get the same cocoa (can't beat 25 cals!) and I always get lumps too...

mandalinn - Do you collect all the egg gadgets too? I have the whisk, the masher, the slicer, along others...they're so adorable!
  • I also get best result by adding just a bit of water first, stirring into a thoroughly dissolved sludge, then adding the rest of the water.
  • WOW! Thanks so much for the GREAT advice! I now have the hope of a lump-free hot cocoa! I'm still in search of the peppermint candy tea by Celestial Seasonings. Someone here recommended it and I have yet to find it in my supermarket! Anyway, thanks again! I will try all the ideas!
  • Someone here once told me about using this stuff in oatmeal--its great! Almost like a dessert.

Also, I have a recipe for using it in an Eggnog recipe. Thank you Hungry Girl!
  • Oooh! Oatmeal! What a fantastic idea! I'm not an eggnog fan, but I love me some chocolaty oatmeal! WOW!!! Thanks!!!
  • I'm definitely a "make a paste first" cocoa maker.

And, holy crap, I've got an intense craving for that peppermint candy tea now. ;>

I have a housemate who loves it and have snuck a cup from her every now and again.
  • Add a bit (drop) of peppermint extract to that hot cocoa??? I should try that.