margarine or EVOO

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Which is better for sauteing vegetables?
  • I use 1 Tbsp BUTTER & 1 Tbsp EVOO...NO MARGARINE!
  • I ♥ butter
  • I know you didn't ask about it but I really like fat-free cooking spray. Otherwise, I use olive oil.
  • Thank you! I was leaning towards the EVOO, but doubted at the last minute. Glad to know I was right.

I've never tried the cooking spray before with vegi's, I might give that a try.
  • When I sautee "soft" veggies like spinach I use cooking spray. If I am sauteeing something that takes a little more time, I actually start it off by steaming in the saute pan with just a bit of water. Once the veggies are almost soft, and the water has evaporated I spray with cooking spray and finish them.

Otherwise, EVOO is so much healthier it isn't even funny,
    But if you like the buttery taste, go with half butter, half EVOO.
  • If it's either/or, I go with EVOO. I don't use margarine for anything.

Jay
  • I never used cooking spray for anything at all. Last year I discovered the generic butter flavor and really liked it--you can use it on almost anything for instant butter flavor. I am all about whole foods but this is one of my justifiable cheats.
  • Margarine is barely even a food product, so I use EVOO for everything. Another good oil for sauteeing is Grapeseed oil. Another healthy oil that have a high smoke temperature and no flavor. I don't have a problem with butter either, I am just not supposed to eat dairy.
  • EVOO here too!
  • You can also use a little chicken broth. It adds a little flavor. Sometimes I will steam with chicken broth and then add a teaspoon of room temperature butter to finish a sauce after I turn off the heat.

Never EVER with the margarine.

But I'm an EVOO girl from way back!
  • glad everyone agrees no margarine! lol, seriously, it's not good for you at all. atleast butter has some vitamins in it. EVOO is even better.
  • I'd go with the healthy qualities of EVOO. Butter is a solid. Solid fat's are not the best options for you.
  • I've been buying olive oil in a spray bottle. It's a little less than $4. Best investment ever.
  • Ooooh definitely NOT margarine. One of the worst fats you can put down your throat. That should be your last choice. For anything. Always.

For veggies, I use olive or canola oil or cooking spray.

I just started doing something interesting. I put a dollop of oil in a saute pan and spread it with a pastry brush so that the whole pan gets coated. I do the same when I'm roasting veggies. I put the oil on the roasting tray and spread it with the brush. I get great overall coverage that way and have cut back on the cooking spray due to it.