Do you take a day off?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I don't workout on Sundays and eat a more relaxed diet too (within reason), this serves two purposes: it gives me some rest from 6 days of exercise, and it also keeps me sane by giving me some breathing room. I would not like to be the skinny chick wearing the white shirt with very-long sleeves tied to the back.

Do you take a holiday too? What do you do/don't on these days?
  • Check out this thread http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/gene...an-normal.html

And yes...I most deff. take a day off!
  • My weigh in day is Wednesday and I eat a pretty lax dinner on Wednesday night (and sometimes a lax lunch on Thurday afternoon). I do Wii Active for my workout and I try not to miss a day because I'm scared if I miss a day, I'll fall into those habits again.
  • I eat pizza every Friday night and drink D. soda too. I don't feel comfortable enough to take a whole day off--and to be honest, I don't really feel the need to. As far as the exercise, there are some days I don't run. I make a strong effort to do something else very active though. I feel better when I move so again, I am doing what I want.
  • I take 2 days rest from exercise but I strive to stay on my eating plan 99.99% of the time.
  • I exercise 3 times a week and strive to stay 100% on plan. It works for me.
  • I tend to take a day off now and then when I feel a little batty. Then in the following days I feel like I have no right to eat extra because I had a day off that week. I tend to do really well in the days following.
  • I take a day off from exercise but not from eating within my calorie range. I don't have the will power yet for it to be just one day. I tried to take a day off for my fiance's birthday and it ended up lasting over a week.
  • I can't bring myself to have a day off from eating clean because I am too scared that it will lead to a binge...I am hoping once I get better control of it I can. But I'm not even sure that I want to put that kind of stuff in my body anymore - although an ice cream once in awhile would be nice....ahh.

I take 1 or 2 days off the gym because I work out for 2-3 hours on the days I workout and muscle repair is really important. I am in the groove now where I have to make myself take a day off from the gym and that is really awesome!
  • You're meant to have 1 day off from exercise then your muscles can rest and repair. I normally have 1 day rest from exercise though on busy weekends have 2 days rest. I don't tend to have a day off eatign to plan- I have less healthy meals sometimes but factor it in on my calorie count and make up for it by having very veyr healthy meals the day before and after.
  • When I lost my weight, I went to the gym 5 or 6 times a week, but I always took a day off after 2 or 3 days. I also did different things when I went, so I wasn't always stressing muscles the same way.

I also counted calories, and I did that every single day, even if I ate more than usual or foods that were not "on plan." I think it's important to keep track this way because your body counts that food whether your mind does or not.

Jay
  • Depending on the nature of your workout, taking timeouts can be important.

For food, I find allowing myself one meal off plan a week is what works best. A whole day is too much. I fact, I only use my "free pass" meal for the week when the circumstances warrant it -- if there is a birthday celebration, social occasion or an activity.

I also have a treat planned into my diet every day, so I don't feel like I am continuously denying myself the rest of the week.

I guess the key for me is to allow enough slack but no more than just enough. If I allow myself more than "just enough" it becomes a slippery slope. But I suspect everyone has a different "just enough" point.
  • I take time off from excercise a lot. I've never really had a strict regiment. I just move a heck of a lot more than I used to. As far as eating...well, I can't really take a day off because I've traded that for the excercise days off. I also have read way too many threads that started out something like this...

"A day turned into a week, a week turned into a month..."

I know in my heart if *I* start giving myself days to eat what I want instead of what I should, it would never stop at a day...it's not in my blood. But for those who can, "BRAVO" I'm in awe of you.
  • I have actually done both, taking an entire day off and eating a "cheat meal" - I ended up regaining about 40 lbs. after going off my diet after a cheat day, so this time around I chose one meal a week and i've been going strong for 2 months+. Most of the time, I do not even want my cheat meal. This works for me!
  • I take Weds and Saturdays off from working out. I sometimes eat a slice of pizza on Fridays.