Difficult to get enough healthy calories

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm finding it difficult to get enough healthy calories each day - obviously if I were to have lots of fatty and sugary foods this wouldn't be a problem, but that doesn't seem constructive!

Does anyone have any suggestions?
  • Are you snacking? How many calories are you trying to add?

I'd try adding some nut butter, hummus, cheese wedges, etc. Something small that contains good fats. I spread a bit of almond butter on carrot sticks, or eat veggies with horseradish hummus when my calories are a bit low for the day. Or drink a glass of soy milk.
  • Those are great suggestions, I have a mental block on nut butters and cheese as in large quantities I consider them bad, but of course they make great things to have as little snacks. Thanks
  • Well, what is it exactly that you're eating? Can you give us a typical day so that we know what you are eating and aren't repetitive?

In the meantime, till you get back to us, as far as healthy calories - proteins and fiber - fruits and veggies.

Chicken, fish, eggs, turkey, soy products.

Soups, chillis, stews.

Fruits - apples, berries, melons, pears, oranges, etc.

Salads - baby spinach, greens, mango, chickpeas, avocado, turkey and chicken breast - the combinations are endless.

Veggies - butternut squash, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, zucchini, broccoli, sugar snap peas, and on and on.

HEalthy grains - quinoa, oatmeal, whole grain breads

Nuts - almonds, pistachios, walnuts, pecans - thrown into salads and in chicken dishes.

Beans and lentils.

There is no end to the list of healthy foods. And each one of them is full of calories.
  • Look--you can eat larger portions of healthy foods! Like chicken, fish, whole grains like brown rice, whole grain bread, starchy vegetables, etc.

Jay
  • Sockeye Salmon and avacado, raw almonds too...these are all staples in my daily diet
  • I have the same problem and have posted about it! I really have a very hard time getting enough calories. Most days I end up about 100-200 under my goal of 1500 and that can't be good. The problem is I am NOT hungry! I am stuffing my face all day it seems. Before I only ate twice a day and had about 2000 extra calories. LOL So eating 6 times a day is extremely hard to do.
  • add more snacks. I eat about every 2 hours. Just so that I don't get hungry and then want to eat everything in sight.
  • Add more healthy fats and proteins, in addition to the suggestions above:
    LF string cheese
    Avocado
    Trail mix
    Olive oil on a salad, to stir fry your veggies, in a sauce or dressing
    Hard-boiled egg
    Cottage cheese
    Yogurt
  • Wow, you've all really opened my eyes. For some reason even though I know the items you've all listed are healthy, if they weren't often in my diet before I forget about them as an option.
  • Avacados, peanut butter (PB2 is good if you want to keep the fat down), and low fat cheese like laughing cow, jarlsberg and alpine lace.
  • I find corn quite high calorie compared with other vegetables. I got a big surprise when I stuffed my face with corn and discovered I ended up eating 320 calories worth of corn! It's like 80 calories per half cup. So if you like corn, that could be a good addition in larger quantities to get your calories up as well.
  • Here are two things that I frequently turn to if the end of the day is near and I haven't eaten enough:

-- frozen peas. A minute or less in the microwave and they're good to go

-- banana concoction: I take a small amount (like 1/2 tbs) of almond butter, put it on a plate, microwave for 30 seconds to soften it. Slice a banana on top, and then drizzle on a small amount of honey. With a small banana, this comes out to about 135 - 150 calories. And it is heavenly and healthy.
  • <---Wants banana concoction...
  • <--- Will make a banana concoction this evening!