Chatting about Diabetes - SPRING 2009

You're on Page 10 of 19
Go to
  • Good question, RuthXXX! Even in the hospital, in 28 years, I have never seen a male dietician. Now, in one place we did have a male diabetes educator, but those are few and far between too. Good Luck later.

Mel, Things can fool you. Are you sure it was the white bread, or was there something else with it, or something NOT with it like a protein? For many months I avoided all pastas, until we were on vacation and I had fettuccini alfredo one night. BG went up, but not like with spaghetti and lasagna. Turned out that it wasn't the pasta, it was the sugar in the tomato sauce (same thing with BBQ sauce and ketsup etc). I get less of a rise with cookies and milk at bedtime than sauces at dinner (not that that's a common occurance). My dietician always says "you need to live, not survive". Plan your bread in your menu, and don't keep kicking yourself.

Both of my college boys are doing better, so today is all good! My 10 yr old daughter has a friend over for dinner--it is so great to be back in the phase when you can swap kids around instead of paying babysitters all the time. It worked when the boys were little, and I miss having them here to babysit. It is gorgeous out so we are grilling out for dinner as the girls are running amok in the yard. I love Spring!

Everyone have a great evening. Hope everyone is doing well. Catch you tomorrow. Kathy

PS: are we still having weigh-in days? What day is it?
  • Good morning! I avoided the tea party sandwiches and was very careful at dinner - too careful as my FBGL was 2.7(48.6) this morning. I thought I had a hangover from the wine! Apple juice and some toast seems to have fixed it but I must remember to have carbs with wine next time. Pork tenderloin and green salad just doesn't do it.

Weigh-in day? I didn't know there was one in this section. I think some of us are focusing on blood sugar control over weightloss although losing weight does help a lot in controlling diabetes.
  • We live and learn, don't we! Mine was a little high last night, but we took the girls out for ice cream and I forgot to get a junior scoop at Baskin-Robbins. But this morning I was my normal self at 96mg/dl, so I will not sweat it too much.

Going to work on my new pilates chair. It was a christmas present to myself, but the rest of the world went haywire after that, and never started using it. I was going to go to water aerobics, but my husband is on call this morning and my daughter woke up sick.

Before I was AWOL we used to have a day to weigh in, but it's possible it was on another thread.

It is a beautiful morning here, had my breakfast out on the back deck. Everyone have a beautiful Saturday. Keep you posted on the chair!
    Kathy
  • HELLO AND GOOD MORNING!!!!

I have been MIA for awhile, sorry about that! First off it sounds like you ladies are doing really well!

Mel--CONGRATS on the weight loss! How do you feel? Clothes fitting better? caving is apart of the process, esp because you and I are still new at this.

The other night i really really wanted a burger so I got a double double from In and Out protein style. In my head i was thinking because there is no bun I can have fries! My BS wasn't too bad *not as bad as i thought it would be* but its wasn't great (133). The one thing I am no longer sure how to order is shusi! I love sushi but when i ate it i hit the 200's. I dont know if is it because i just had too muh or what.

I'm up to 1000mg of metformin at this point and it's working really well. This is my first week exercising and my bs have been great! I've been cooking and trying new way to be healthy. My challenge today be self control at a BBQ.

Ladies I hope you all continue to do well!! I'll try to post more often. Thanks! Have a beautiful saturday!
  • Hi everyone..i'm back..puter running great now..it was a power outage a few weeks ago that messed up the settings..sounds like you all are thriving and learning what works..the trick is to keep at it..even when we have a slip-up as we are human right moni it might be the rice in the suchi..((( hugs))) rosey
  • had a pretty good day - my bg is still all over the place. i guess it's still a thousand times better than it was two months ago....i just need to be patient and give my body time to recover. would you believe that i have been getting tired, fatigued and light-headed when my blood sugar goes below 120? my body has become so accustomed to levels in the 300's, it must think it's starving itself.
    moni, you gotta give into those cravings sometimes! i am glad you do not berate yourself for indulging just think, you're still doing a hundred percent better than you were three or four weeks ago
  • Morning everyone from rainy alaska..ahhh spring rains and the snow is melting fast now..am so glad to have my computer back..remember the days without these neat toys?? oops showing my age lol..my sl was 101 this am..do something fun for yourself today rosey
  • still battling those am highs...i have no idea what to do anymore! i see my doctor again in june, i hope she has some ideas.
  • Mel--sorry to hear that your am bs are high! How is the working out going? What kind of work outs do you do?

My latest problems is dealing with TOM and cravings!! I want everything bad, fries, burgers, chicken, CHOCOLATE! I'm trying give in "smart". How do you all deal with that?

Yesterday I went to the bbq and ate alot. then i came home and still continued to snack. I didnt check my bs before bed but this mornig it was 108.

I could really go for some fries right now...lol.
    Have a great day!
  • moni - for exercises i just walk or walk briskly. i put on my headphones and then just move to the music iPods are the best! you can't even hear yourself panting.
  • Hi ladies It is good to hear how everyone is doing.

Ruth Congratulations on Onederland! and Welcome back Kathy. Sounds like you have a very busy life!

I was disappointed when I had my physical last week that my A1C was up .2 but still decent at 6.5. My LDL was up 31 points. The price I pay for all that beef rather than chicken that I have been having the last few months. The numbers were a bit sobering and I seem to be correcting my course. Time will tell.
  • Evening all! We had such a beautiful day today. Too bad I missed most of the morning napping--went in on call and got home at 4:45am. That throws off the eating schedule, but not the BG too much. I just take my snacks with me. But I love when my meter sends me messages. At 10:00 when I did my morning sugar, it was 88mg/dl, so it wanted to know if I needed a snack. Wish I could have told it no, I needed breakfast. Did get my walk in and got the pots planted today. Just wish I had lost some weight this week.

Catch you all tomorrow after Dancing with the Stars!

Kathy
  • Active--sorry to hear about the numbers but the beautiful thing is you can always start fresh and change your ways little at a time! Good luck

Kathy-It begins a new weight, thus a chance to lose that weight! Good luck to you!

Mel--i totally agree, i love throwing on my IPOD and goig all out. You know what else i do, its rather silly but it helps!! I go shopping in my head. I think of all the cute things I want to wear when i can buy in smaller sizes! I also just picutre the new and improve Moni

Have a good week everyone and made good choices!
  • moni - going to the clothing stores and trying on new stuff is a huge motivation for me too. i also have so much more energy now that my bg levels are lower. yes they are still higher than i'd like, but at least i am not still trying to function throughout the day with levels in the 300's (which i suspect is what i was doing for many years, i do not like to think about that though...).
    i think i am down to a 26 now. my goal is to get into a 24, then i can shop again at the regular stores and not have to worry about going to special "plus sized" stores like Lane Bryant and Fashion bug
  • Morning everyone..still spring rain here..i could here it pounding on our metal roof last night..i luv that sound ..my sl was 84 this am..moni and vermontchick,i have a real time finding clothes and so i hate shopping..im so short by the time i get them to fit around me i have to cut 3/4 of the legs off so since ive been sewing since i was 12 i make my shirts etc..my kids call it my uniform, sweats and a blouse ive made..recently i got a trapeez style t-shirt from lane bryant and flound a 3x fits me fine..i have not worn a t-shirt since i was akid but as ive got older im not as insecure about what others think about what i wear or look like in it ,so i please myself, took me along time to get that idea,i guess ive always been self conscous(sp?) but i luv the t-shirts..Do you feel uncomfortable in some clothes or worry about how u are perceived? wondered if its just me? have agreat day and make good food choices ttfn (((hugs))) rosey