So frustrating - Why can't I say "no" to friends?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • This is a situation in which women need to learn to behave more selfishly.

(Off topic slightly: I've noticed this seems to be one of the most devastating insults that women lob at another person: "She (or he) is selfish." With men, this is not the case. The word is not as fraught for them.)

I laughed in recognition when I read this passage in Claire Messud's novel, "The Emperor's Children":

Quote:
    Hunched forward over the table against the cavernous cacophony of the restaurant, the three women were playing the dessert game -- each trying to hide her sentiments about the course while simultaneously attempting to gauge those of her companions ....
    I know that thoughtful silence very well. I always experience it around women, and not just at the dessert course. I rarely experience it while dining with men.
  • Oh wow. I usually work from home and monitor 3fatchicks all day, but today I was out from 9 am to 8 pm. I just came home after a l-o-n-g day to find all these thought-provoking responses; thank you all! I'm glad to know I'm not alone, and I'm going to read over and think more on what everyone has said.

Saef, that quote absolutely *resonated* with me. I'm the one at the restaurant who won't order until I've heard what everyone else is having...