Push Ups

• I can't even do a modified push up. What's the best way to train to get to that level or a real push up?
  • Inclines. Start with wall pushups, then move to a counter top, then move to stairs. Then eventually move to the floor.
  • nelie has you covered. :] when you're doing push-ups (modified or not) make sure to engage your core muscles, too. it'll be worth it!
  • I think I also saw a link a year ago about a woman explaining how to get to a push up. I just can't remember it though.
  • Try doing just some plank holds also.

That helps build shoulder strength.

Good luck
  • I found a video on crossfit for this. If you don't have windows media player, try changing the "wmv" to "mov" for the quicktime version.

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/C...pingPushup.wmv
  • here's another thread/link on push-ups
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144300

hope it works
  • as wall as plank holds which are traditionally done on your forearms. you can try holding the push up position on you hands and knees. preferably on the bed with pillow under you.

this will strengthen your upper body and shoulders when you can do this you can start doing reverse pushups. from this position lower yourself down to the pillow as slowly as you can, this is the principal of resistance as you are resisting gravity with your upper body muscles they are working and will be getting stronger
  • Quote: as wall as plank holds which are traditionally done on your forearms. you can try holding the push up position on you hands and knees. preferably on the bed with pillow under you.

this will strengthen your upper body and shoulders when you can do this you can start doing reverse pushups. from this position lower yourself down to the pillow as slowly as you can, this is the principal of resistance as you are resisting gravity with your upper body muscles they are working and will be getting stronger

I've always done the plank holds in push up position. When the wii fit was doing it on the forearms, it screwed me up so much.