Beck Diet For LIfe/Solution – February 2009 – Support, Discussion, Buddy/Coach

You're on Page 8 of 19
Go to
  • Wednesday
    I got through it today... Beck – WI-down 1.75 lbs. I’m sure much of it will be back, even if only for a few days. But credit moi for moving in the right direction… My plan to keep RC cards on my craving-objects has worked for two nights! I really don’t want to bother and get up, just to read them and go back and sit down. So credit moi for coming up with a plan that leverages laziness...
    Food / Exercise – op for food, but dinner didn’t fill me up tonight. Today was a short 30 min exercise day, which I needed since I am soooooo tired from doing 2-45 minute days in a row.
    onebyone – Credit! For toting up your calories and being op. And happy to hear you are still reveling in your long mornings at home.

Anne - Credit for making a plan when you are under the weather. And hope having the cards next to your bed works for you! You are right – I should do a memory card for the successful trip – Thanks!

twilit tera Hi and hope you had a good day.

Bill – re: Whole Foods visit – LOL. And credit for counting those calories as your snack – and for walking there!

lilyyoung I’m sorry to hear about your boyfriend. Good luck (and Credit! for) with working on your to do list, food plan cards, etc.

davidette – CREDIT for cookies in moderation! And good luck with the chocolate!

JenMusic Have fun with your friend – and credit for the hike!

twilight tera - Good eating without tracking – Credit! Exercise – Credit! Then exercise some more – Credit!

Robin I totally get your husband’s popcorn addiction. I’m jonesing for some as I type. But it’s 14g of almonds and then to bed! I’ll share one bag of popcorn (Orville Reddenbacker's Tender White --- yum!) with my hubbie this weekend. I’m soooooo glad to hear your head is in a good place again. You are right – today is the only day that matters… Credit for on plan, chicken for dinner, walking, and a good mental attitude!

Jeanie Credit for looking under every rock to track down the source of your hunger issues. Stress, fatigue and depression (even the temp kind…) could all play a role. Credit for making a plan to get you through tonight. Good luck!!
  • Good evening, Beckfriends!

Been an really good day today. Not getting through my biology lab like I'd want. In fact, that's pretty frustrating to me. I've got 13 different tissues I need to be able to identify by sight, explain their function and where they are in the body. Every time I see them it's like I'm looking at them for the first time.

But food's going well. I was able to stretch some, and I've been wearin my new shoes all day!!

Oh, and here's the link to my Time Machine paper.

Robin: It makes me feel warm and fuzzy and even a little weepy to know that something I said was useful to you. and for focusing on this day.

Jean: It is true that depression is very resistant to logic. And yes, things will change.

onebyone: and good luck on your new teaching gig!! It sounds so exciting!

(I doubt very seriously the teacher who stopped you in the hall had any idea how her "compliment" sounded.)

ChinaMaine: for OP food! Sorry to hear you didn't get your short work out, but clearly things are going the right direction. for getting laziness to work for you!

goodnight, all!
  • Coaches/Buddies It is cold here. Like snow-on-the-cacti cold. I am not enjoying this.

I feel awful, but have felt awful for so long who knows. My voice is now going in and out. DS got sent home from day care today with a big bad fever. He seems to be doing OK, but DH and I have to split the day tomorrow. I'm home in the morning and working in the afternoon.

Scale is behaving. I'm on plan. Bad attitude though. The new Survivor starts tonight so maybe I can get a little joy when someone gets voted off the island. Too bad I can't vote a coworker off my project!

My packages. Two books and a Flip video camera. The camera is cool, and small. The first book is The Magician by Michael Scott, which is the sequel to The Alchemyst, my last 5 lb goal prize. I think this is the best series I've read since Harry Potter. The second book was Scream Free Parenting by Hal Edward Runkel. Musta been a rough day when I ordered it, LOL! I need to pick a new 5 lb prize. I'm still 3 lbs away, but it is good to have something to look forward to.

Tera How was the storm? I love storms. Except when the house breaks or it's cold. Did I mention it's cold here?

Good for you on five minutes of exercise. I need to read my response cards on that subject. I may make a "5 minute pass" RC and tape it to my computer. That actually sounds like an excellent idea! Hope I remember to do it. Give me a on it tomorrow if you think about it, wouldja?

Oh, I love those kind of scales. You can lose 5 lbs in seconds!! Ahh, my weight loss fantasies come true. Too bad they are useless for anything meaningful.

I tried to read your essay on The Time Machine but I had a weird college flashback, and remembered I once wrote a paper on it. My brain shut down at that point. Sorry. I took Science Fiction as my English credit after I realized I would probably flunk everything else. Well, I probably would have done OK in Shakespeare, which is interesting once you start successfully channeling Elizabethan English, but it was always full and I never got in, or it conflicted with quantum mechanics or something.

Lily I'm so sorry you and your boyfriend have to go through this. That is a very scary diagnosis. My best to both of you during this tough time. It sounds like you are going to need to be strong in the coming months, and that means you need to make sure you take the time to take care of yourself physically and mentally.

Bill Back away from the cheese! It is infested with germs. Do you know how they make cheese? Nasty process.

LOL at what I assume is a typo on "groove." We pass a stand of trees on the way home from day care, and have been working on "grove" lately. I'm frequently in the grove. Maybe you are psychic?

Does letting the piles of junk become furniture count as a solution? That seems to be my approach.

davidette Someone is bringing cake to an exercise buddy lunch?? Huh? Did you whack 'em with a clue stick? Wow. I know you are going to make it through completely on plan!

JenMusic Hooray for hiking! So how do you like being an outdoor girl now?

RobinW It makes me smile just to see you posting! I think you should toot your horn just for fighting! Sounds like you did a great job dealing with your plan for today. That's all any of us can really do.

Jean You sound like you are feeling more in control today, more balanced. I'm really glad.

Random diet thoughts, having done the distance thing myself: What are your long runs now? 1800 cal/day isn't going to be sufficient as you start to build mileage. You may need more carbs as you start to go longer, higher GI carbs before/during/immediately after running, and lower GI carbs the rest of the day. Do you have a sports nutrition reference? Nutrition needs can start to change pretty significantly.

Oh, yeah, and CBT can help you "reason your way out of a spat of depression." That's a clinically proven technique.

onebyone The offer to teach sounds so exciting! I hope you consider it--you are obviously very talented, and hey, free yoga! The interaction with the other teacher sounds very strange. I'm sorry what started as a very positive thing turned into something hurtful. Was it as an ambiguous statement in life as it reads on my screen?

Nice work on meeting your calorie target for the day!

ChinaMaine If you've got a diet plan that leverages laziness, you'll never have to work another day in your life, LOL. I'd pay big bucks for that. That is some seriously good thinking.

I'm off to watch Survivor and read ScreamFree Parenting. I wonder which one will be more relevant to tomorrow's challenges.

Anne
  • It's only Wednesday!! No Survivor tonight. So much for Scream Free.

Rackin' frackin'....

Anne
  • Hi, everyone. I'm new to this site but I'm very interested in reading the books. Where is the link from 3fc to buy the books on amazon? How much are they?
  • Welcome Destiny2009
    Destiny2009

Welcome to the Discussion Group, Support Group, Diet Buddy / Diet Coach Group for the two books by Dr. Judith Beck, The Complete Beck Diet for Life and The Beck DIET solution: train your brain to think like a thin person.

The book names above are links to Amazon via 3FC where you can buy the books.

And, in case you haven't already gotten one of these,

How did you find out about Beck?

And how did you find this thread on 3FC?
  • Thursday
    Diet Coaches/Buddies - Took a long walk at lunch. CREDIT moi. I used to do that every day but have used busy as an excuse to avoid it. I feel better all afternoon when I walk, and, because I eat lunch later, am more full during the afternoon.

Jean (kuhljeanie) - Yep, it's a pitfall to want to play down the number of challenges you're facing in deference to those who are facing more. Kudos for recognizing that so that you can acknowledge you've got a serious bunch of stuff on your plate right now.

And Kudos for "keep on keeping on."

Robin (RobinW) - Kudos for living in the day - would love to learn that for myself. Good luck with your DH's follow up visit; may it just be a scolding. Popcorn addiction may tough to break.

onebyone - Congrats on the job offer. Methinks you'll do well as a teacher. It's flattering to get a job offer from someone who knows your work; big positive judgment.

Kudos for remaining calm about the remark. You could also take it as a reminder that people don't see you the way you see yourself; she was surprised that you're a large woman because she only sees a competent and creative woman. She should, of course, have her mouth washed out with soap.

Anne (wndranne) - Now that's a power I wish I had, "vote a coworker off my project!" And LOL at piles of junk becoming furniture. Methinks Beck should include a chapter on clutter to help those of us who operate with tons of stuff hanging over our heads. Thanks for spotting grove for groove - I might have misspelled that all my life since I never put the two words together.

Kudos for plowing forward despite the annoyance of DS having a fever and juggling care. I hope someone else is kind enough to send sympathy to Arizona for feeling cold, LOL. Arizona is where Boston people go to get warm in February.

Tera (twilit tera) - Kudos for wearing shoes for six hours. Is your goal to increase the time until you're wearing them all day?

RE my excuse: I told myself that I wanted to peruse the massive array of fresh veggies at Whole Foods to choose what I was going to cook for next week lunches. I didn't really need to do that, but it's always fun to experience the many options available.

ChinaMaine - Congrats for "for moving in the right direction." And Kudos for the neat strategy to put your Response Cards on your craving-objects so that you don't even have to get up to be blocked. That's pretty powerful.

davidette - Kudos for the good planning for your luncheon with your exercise buddies. And BIG Kudos for telling your friend in advance that you won't be having the super-rich cake - that's a good strategy to minimize the power of the food pushers. Next step, of course, it to teach her about healthy eating, LOL.

Thanks for the reminder that "samples are a way to bring back all the viral benefit of having a kid in nursery school." Adding that to my Advantages Response Card so I'll remember.

Jen (JenMusic) - Kudos for the hike!!! Isn't it fun to think of yourself as an active person?

Destiny2009 - If you are not already an exercise person, you'll discover that one of the steps in the Beck program is to choose an exercise plan. It really helps.

Readers -
    "what to do . . .
    To give yourself credit, do the following:
    4. Give yourself credit every time you check off an item
    on your Stage 1 Success Skills Sheet (pages 266-267).
    ..." The Complete Beck Diet for Life, pg 68
  • Wednesday Report
    OP All the Way including...
    exceeding my shoe goal and wearing them ALL DAY!

From now on (at least until my hip stops hurting) my plan is to wear them all day every day, but I see no need to put it on a checklist.

Also, I managed to save my soup and my tofu. I figured out that the reason the tofu tasted wrong is because it ONLY absorbed the red wine vinegar flavor and nothing else, so every time I took a bite of tofu, I got a blast of vinegar. So I removed the tofu and added it to spinach, which tastes like vinegar the way I prepare it anyway.

I still think the soup would be better with beef than chicken, but at least it's edible.

This morning I talked B into taking me to the gym 4 mornings a week instead of two. Now I need a plan for motivating myself to do it.

Anne: Thank you for trying to read my essay and I'm sorry for the resulting flashback.

Hope you survived Wednesday alright. You can't vote off co-workers? Do it anyway! Just don't get voted off yourself! (there's the rub, eh?) I'm interested to know what you think of Scream Free Parenting.

Here's a sympathetic :brrr: over your cold snap. Honestly, people think of deserts as hot, but only mountains get colder.

I must have been really tired during the storm, because I fell asleep almost immediately. Pity. I enjoy a good storm, myself.

Since it's tomorrow, Did you make the exercise RC?

angelmomma: just thinking of you.

Destiny2009!!! I hope you find exactly what you're looking for and will keep us updated!

Bill: for your walk! I'm glad it makes you feel good - that should be incentive to return to the habit, yes?

( at Whole Foods excuse. Window shopping your food?)

Have a wonderful day everyone!
  • Good Morning

Things aren't 100%, but Im getting there. Im not beating myself up like I was a few days ago.

Hubby's appt was good and bad. His stress test was way above average for a fella his age/weight etc. But the echo showed some stuff that isnt too great. He has to make an appt with a cardiologist. Gettin' old really really sucks!

Bill~ Kudos for your lunch time walk and later lunch. I like eating a bit later too.
    From what Ive been told by my mil, hubby has been making popcorn for as long as she could remember! I can get him to eat the fat free/no flavour microwave stuff at the shop....but he goes for the real stuff when he gets home Oh well. The plus side...he gets plenty of fibre!

Tera~Yah!! and Kudos for being op all day!! Very cool! I have to go back and read....Im assuming these shoes help with your hip?

Anne~ How crummy that everyone is feeling yucking again! Here's hoping everyone gets better soon.

We have one of those flip camera's and love it!! We've used it quite abit around the shop and posted how-to videos on youtube.

Hmm...scream free parenting. I dont know what happened with my dd, but one day I decided I wasnt going to yell anymore. Now when I yell at her, she really jumps. Poor girl, she was coming down the stairs and I didnt hear her coming, I hollered (cuz it was supper time) she got to the landing and burst into tears and said "Stop yelling at me!" I had to laugh, because I only hollered her name because it was supper time. Maybe I should have read the book, because it has sort of backfired on me. Raised voices really upset her.

ChinaMaine~ Yah!! for the scale moving down again. We wont think about it going back up....just celebrate it on it's way down

I know there is more to say, but its on the other page and I dont remember.

Tomorrow we have our first interview with a potential sales person. He has quite a bit of experience, and we are hoping it all works out. Kind of exciting, and kind of scary to be giving up some control to an outsider. (yes I have control issues)

Have a great day everyone!
  • good morning my coaches,

still feeling all the YICK, but i might have found another clue to the puzzle. a few days ago i started charting my temperature for a potential kid #2, and thought there was something wrong with my thermometer because it kept giving me low readings. bought a new one, temp still very low (like 96.3). between the hair loss, temp, insomnia/anxiety/depression, odd ridges on my fingernails i hadn't thought much about, and some unusual post-PMS acne i've got the makings of a thyroid diagnosis. called my doc, and he wants me to come in in a few weeks. wouldn't it be great if it were a standard medical problem with a well-established protocol? my appt is in two weeks - in the meantime, i'll work on higher calories to accommodate the running (thank you anne!), fish oil for hair and skin and depression, and will go back to my hemisync CD for sleep.

congrats onebyone on both getting a lovely compliment, and on giving it the importance it should have! anne, so sorry you're getting hit AGAIN with sickness. tera, wonderful news about your shoes. this is a big deal! china, i really like your plan with the RCs on the food. any system that pretty much sustains itself is almost certain to succeed. bill, sounds like those ad hoc trips to the grocery store are creating additional stress and work to avoid extra food. i suspect that because i have a tendency to do the same thing - food shopping gives me an opening to consume off-plan food i don't really need. i've been trying to cut down the number of trips i make to avoid the extra food (and the money and time this kind of not-just-window shopping requires.) for me anyway, grocery shopping is a "gateway" drug that i can avoid more than i often do. i've been more conscious of it lately, which is why your post struck me.
  • crosspost, robin! that's FANTASTIC that you're not beating yourself up like you were.
  • Coaches/Buddies Well, I thought I had dodged a bullet but apparently not. It's official: 2nd sinus infection in a month. Sigh. I'm home with DS today, who is still running a fever and has been little Prince Crank. I'm trying to get him into the ped for an ear check.

Once again I find myself planless, and unlike earlier this week, my eating is not so hot. I'm not really feeling up to dealing with it, so I'm going to make a plan for the rest of the day and just eat that. No exercise to speak of, unless walking the floor with DS counts.

Destiny2009

Bill Nice job on your walk. Hope you got another in today.

Tera I did in fact put the RC on my computer, but am steadfastly ignoring it. I've got a really bad case of the I-don't-feel-like-its. And, yeah, my head is really pounding and hurts when I move it around so I'm giving myself a pass today.

Eeww, vinegary tofu. Glad you found a way around that.

RobinW Let's here it for getting there. When you can see it from here, you'll know you're just about done! Hope your hubby gets good news from the cardiologist.

I think just by being a regular on this thread you are in effect admitting to having control issues, yes? LOL. Me, too.

Jean Sounds like you are taking some sensible steps to get your health back to where you want it! I hope it is making you feel a little better.

to everyone! I dunno if I'll get back tonight, but I'll be around sometime tomorrow.

Anne
  • Persisting in Victory
    Good Evening Coaches:

Two Big Deals happened today. 1) I became a City Employee. I am now officially on the City payroll as an Art Teacher. Wow. 2) a friend called an offered me the July Art in the Park show. I could just take over and organize and run it. It's a one day show with huge potential in a fantastic location. She said she'd give me all her info all her contacts all her help with it.

Totally unexpected opportunity.

Anyway I am at 2008 calories as of right now and I just want to eat eat eat.
    persist in victory...

I'm heading up to bed. Have a good evening and I hope you guys all had a good day.
  • Hi, Beckbuddies!

Lessee... completed another Computer Literacy class assignment. Those go pretty fast for some reason After that I was very lazy, except for vacuuming a bit and OH OH OH! I walked all the way to the mailbox today!!! (and back of course)

Robin: Very glad to hear things are improving. Yes, the shoes have custom orthotic support and shock absorbant soles - they have made a big difference in the way walking affects my hip. Now to figure out how to make sitting not hurt.

Jean: ('cause some things can't be handled with words.)

Anne: wishing you lots of rest and healing up.

onebyone: I'm so happy for you!!!! Congrats on the teaching gig AND the art show!

g'night all!
  • Thursday
    An ‘off’ day…
    Food – I have been off plan all day, but struggling to not stray too far. I was up for several hours in the middle of the night. I assume that’s why I woke up not at all hungry. I had a deliverable early today, so skipped breakfast before starting work, planning to eat once I felt hungry. By the time I felt hungry, I was in the middle of a meeting and didn’t come up for air until after 11 AM. No matter how I tried to get back on plan, I felt ravenous. Later, I had to run out to piano lessons and then food shopping – pushing dinner back so it was later than usual. The ‘hunger is not an emergency’ mantra was not as effective in the supermarket. The only good news is that instead of reaching for something high calorie, I grabbed a jar of V8 juice and started jugging it like a drunken vegetarian… In the end I’m hundreds of calories under plan (but over in % sat fat). My hubbie, ‘Saint J’, made dinner while I was at the store. He carefully measured all my ingredients to help me get back on plan. Isn’t he a sweetie!
    Exercise – Warm and rainy here. So our ice and snow covered dirt road became a slushy mess for my 20 minute ‘fast’ walk. My ice-thingies (that I use to help me from going head over heels on the ice), kept getting pushed sideways off my boots by the slush. So I’d have to stand stork-like in the slush to try and twist the ice-thingies back onto my boots. Over and over, I’d lose my balance just as I was about to get the ice-thingie back on correctly. Several times I came dangerously close to completely losing my balance and collapsing in the road! I got so frustrated, I entertained the wildlife with my expletive-laden outbursts.
    Beck – WI-up .5 lbs. Started on Skill 7 in the book. Did my cards, but still haven’t gotten back to my skill sheet. I’ll get back on track this weekend. I’m just really glad this day is over!!
    twilit tera Food, stretching, shoes – credit, credit, credit! And for the new exercise plan – extra credit!

Anne - Sorry about the sinus infection – hope you get it under control soon. They just take the wind out of your sails… Glad your scale is cooperating, but sorry Survivor was not!

Bill – Credit on the lunch-time walk and fully belly!

Robin Good luck for your hubbie – and with the new salesperson! And Credit for the improved outlook!

onebyone – Congrats on the new job and art show!! Credit for ‘persisting in victory’ -- a nice saying.

Destiny