Fitness mags: motivation booster or zapper?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I'm considering a subscription to fitness, but I feel like these mags are a double edged sword. On a confident day, I feel good about what I see and get really helpful and motivating tips and tricks. However on brooding days, when I read these mags I feel like I'll never get to where I want to be, and the articles are far from realistic. Does anyone else feel this way?
  • I don't even want to look at them. I know that I shouldn't compare myself to the people that are airbrushed on there, however I know that even if I get down to my goal weight I will not look like that ever. My workout ideas usually come from watching other people workout, especially the people with the trainers. I can go there and "watch" them do it and then recreate for free.
  • I find some of them inspiring. I like Women's Health and Self. The rest of them I find are just full of nonsense.

~CGH~
  • I like Womens Health, but you just have to remember that they photoshop and alter pictures of women the same way that any fashion ad would.
  • I buy them for road trips and working out. I just take them at face value. Some of them are really good about using real women in their demonstrations. I've also found some really good exercises, especially in Self.

But I've always been a magazine junky. Don't think that will ever change.
  • Bee I understand about never looking that way ever.

on the other hand guys....I love that magazine. I get really good tips from but after a year subscription it starts to get repetitive. I always fantasize about how how cute I would look in those outfits they wear.
  • If your going to spend money, get prevention or the weight watchers magazine. If it's a free subscription as in from coke points, go for it. Otherwise I'd only do the prevention or the weight watchers.
  • haha , this is my gulity pleasure! i love all fitness magazines.
  • I love an in-depth article. And I love a nicely structured program. Photos can be inspiring. But I can't stand the magazines that are primarily a giant collection of blurbs. Those drive me crazy.
  • I have subscriptions to Self and Fitness mag. Love them both!
  • I absolutely love WW Magazine! They include inspiring true-life stories and some great recipes. The articles are great reads as well.

Also, I'm a huge fan of Self magazine. I've kinda learned to tune out the bodies of women in well, any magazine...I know the power of Photoshop! I find that Self has some great workout tips and everyone's weight-loss stories seem achievable.
  • I do really like that Self and Fitness have a lot of online tools and resources, but I can never get into the habit of using them regularly. Do any of you use the magazines regularly, like their workouts, diets, online tools? How do you make these things a habit? Thanks for all the input so far!
  • I love, self and shape. I do find them inspiring. If I don't feel like working out or eating well I find that flipping through them reminds me why I am doing all of this. But if they make you fell bad at all don't open them!! No one needs negative input.
  • I agree that having them around could actually help you out of a slump. I like Shape, though sometimes the bikini clad celebrity features get a little tiring. Especially because I read one (I can't remember who the celeb was) but her diet was basically starvation soooo yeah.

I also love the fitness tv shows, they keep me motivated because it helps to watch other people struggle with the same issues and make it through!
  • i read oxygen sometimes.. i feel like its geared towards more "fitness girl" types but there are some great exercises in there. i also love self mag but not shape for some reason. i dont much bother to compare myself with the woman in these types of magazines, i just like the tips.