Sushi Point Help Please!

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I didn't get a response on the other site so I thought I'd try here.

Tomorrow is my b-day & we're going to my favorite sushi place. Can anyone help me estimate the following roll? I know it will be high, but I'll share it & it's my fave : )

Las Vegas Maki
    Salmon, avocado, crabmeat, cream
    cheese, masago deep fried w/ chef's
    special sauce.

It's served in 6 pieces.

Thanks!

Salmon - wild atlantic salmon, cooked, 1 oz = 1 POINT
    avocado - 1/4 of an avocado = 2 POINTS
    crabmeat - king crab, cooked, 1 oz = 0.5 POINTS
    cream cheese - regular, 1 tablespoon = 1 POINT
    masago deep fried - one ounce of any caviar is 2 POINTS, but add a couple points overall for it being deep fried
    chef's special sauce - no telling here!

That should at least give you a good starting place...
  • Thanks Jamie!
  • I have sushi every week after our WW meeting. This is how we do it.

Plain roll like cucumber roll = 2
    California roll = 3
    any "Big" rolls (which for us is something with avocado or cream cheese or things that are fried) = 5

Usually my WW buddy and I get 2 big and 2 small and divide the points because we share them. Does this make sense?
  • Totally. Thanks, I'll be printing this one off & will use as a guide.

So for my Maki roll it'd be 30 points for the whole thing - 6 pieces or 5 points for each piece right?

That seems fair.
  • Oh no Darling. Sushi is like the lowest point food you can have. I don't know if you have any food companion books but they have a few rolls listed in there. I meant the entire "Big" roll is 5 or 6 points and the enitre califronia is 3 points. That includes all pieces of the roll. So if you eat with just one other person and you guys split the rolls and you have 3 bigrolls one cucumber and one california for example the points total would be 20. But since you shared half you ate 10 points worth. I hope this clears things up for you. You're probably already at dinner so just adjust when you see this....sorry for the mix up.
  • Holy crap! I'm eating sushi for every meal! Yay!
  • A lot of people give themselves holidays without counting, so maybe you could give yourself your own birthday present that way? It doesn't mean going crazy and eating a ton of cake, but being reasonable and enjoying yourself.
    Just a thought.
  • Jill my mom eats it at 4 times a week. I don't know how she does it. I love sushi but I can't hang with you guys. I hope you had an awesome birthday.
  • Sweet! Sushi for me on my birthday (the 20th) :-)
  • I actually did end up giving myself the day "off" for my birthday. I had more than exceeded my weight loss goals for the 1st 2 weeks so I felt okay doing that.

You guys totally put me in the sushi mood! We went out tonite for sushi & martinis. It was awesome. I counted it & felt good about having a nice on-plan meal out.

Thanks for all the advice!
  • Well, this thread made me crave sushi too. So, I got a little variety thing today from a restaurant and it had Spicy Crawfish roll in it. Not my favorite, but also included a Philly Roll which is my favorite... :-) I was able to track everything but the Spicy Crawfish on WW... then I attempted to internet search for the calories and couldn't find it... I'm a little concerned that I ate this now! HA! Anyway. Just wanted to share that WW online tracker goes by pieces... Now that does mean actual pieces, right? Not a whole roll?
  • I just had a Philly Roll for the 1st time this week! It was okay, I'm a fan of the California Roll myself. I could eat 10 of those.

Any other good ones I should try?

Brittany - I count per piece. Like for the Cali Roll w/ 6 pieces, I counted it as 6 points for the whole thing. Counted the Philly Roll as 3 points for 3 pieces.
  • I absolutely LOVE eel and avocado rolls... I also like the Jungle Roll - it is baked and also involves eel, but it has some kind of yummy sauce that I'm sure racks up the points!
  • Eel?

I don't know if I'm ready for that. I'm new to the whole sushi thing.

Maybe we'll give it a try next time. Sounds well......slimey